Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sample menu for puppies please

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Number 3, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Number 3

Number 3 Forums Regular

Feb 5, 2015
    Australia
    Hello

I finally got my 11 week old puppy to eat!

Anyway can you give me a sample of the menu that you feed your puppies for say, a week? Either Barf or Prey model.

How much for each meal and what is in each meal.

How often for bones?

How old is your puppy and what is their weight?

I am trying to keep it simple and not blow my mind :eek2:

Thank you!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Given the importance of good nutrition for growing pups there's going to be a risk fiddling around with her diet if you're not sure what you're doing yet. I'd recommend starting with a ready made BARF product that is nutritionally balanced. It's a great way to get started without taking the risk of getting it wrong in a pup.

You can buy 'barf patties' from most larger pet stores. There's also a mix you add to your own meat to provide a balanced meal. I really like the Vets All Natural (VAN) products (have a look at their website for more info http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28). Over the years I have used the Complete Mix - which is kind of a muesli you soak in water and add to your own meat - so I can recommend it (the weight loss version really works).

Btw - was there anything in particular you found that worked with getting her eating? It's really helpful to hear successes.

3. Number 3

Number 3 Forums Regular

Feb 5, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you!

To get her to eat, I switched from ground meat (mince) to meat cubes. Its like she couldn't figure out how to eat the mince. But she can eat it when its in chopped up cubes!

:smile2:

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Shelties can be weird about texture and size. Kaleigh when she was teething wouldn't eat any food over a certain size. I guess it bothered her gums so I had to make sure to cut everything up tiny. She outgrew that. Savannah likes warmer food, if it cools she walks away and won't touch it. Mine are spoiled rotten.

5. Horse Chestnut

Horse Chestnut Forums Regular

Jul 1, 2015
    Columbus, OH
    A great food for puppies, or any raw diet dog, is green tripe. It's sort of a super food for prey animals, and most dogs love it. It's full of stinky goodness! If you can't find a source for it in your area, you can always find it online, such as this site: http://www.greentripe.com/