Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What do your dogs run/train in?

Discussion in 'Agility' started by cmae, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    I know I run the risk of looking silly by asking this question, but I am a complete agility newbie so forgive me :smile2:

There is an advance agility class the runs before our foundations class every week, and I am noticing lots of dogs wearing harnesses while waiting, then running naked on course. I know some trials require you to run naked, but why the harness? Is it easier to take on/off versus a collar?

Do any of you actually train in a collar or harness? We have been training in a harness lately, solely because we like having the handle there.. Cruz has become a bit of a "visitor" while others are working (and pretends not to hear us call him :gaah) so the harness is much easier to grab than a collar.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Generally run naked. I have a braided martigale slip lead that I use for trials and class. Diva, Ember and sometimes Birch use that. If Ember has a cigar on she thinks she is doing obedience

Birch has a Julius K9 harness for trials. It is just easier to get of and not pull his hair getting it over his fat head.

Celtic is wearing a buckle collar and snap leash for now. Gives me something to grab and the leash I can put in my pocket.

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    My guys wear flat collars with their details embroidered on the side for training and competing. I have trained Sparrow in a proper agility harness, however some trainers dislike harnesses as it is more possible for a dog to catch themselves on equipment while wearing one, particularly if it has a handle or raised clips.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    My dogs run naked 100% of the time. I worry about them becoming ring-wise (which means that they know when they are training vs. when they are trialing) so I try to mimic a trial atmosphere as much as I can. So, we run with no collars or harnesses at practice as well as at trials.

Before runs we use harnesses. My dogs didn't like me fumbling around in their fur at the start line. It caused them to fidget. The harness is way easier to pull on and off.

5. BiFire

BiFire Forums Regular

Mar 5, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Same here. Mine run naked 100% of the time both training and at trials. Between runs they wear Julius harnesses. Only because slip leads are difficult to get over their heads and my boy especially hates waiting for me to take the leash off. He has no patience for that.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog wears an embroidered flat nylon buckle collar 24/7 (NO tags). It only comes off for baths.

I use a Julius K9 harness in between agility runs (training and competing). I love it because it's so easy to snap on and off at the start line. I used to using a martingale collar, but it I felt it messed up my dog's concentration when I had to pull it over her head.

I have a different harness that I use when I walk my dog.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I use a Brilliant K9 harness (similar in design to the Julius K9) for the same reason Dr. Shelli does with Birch. It's easier to get off without pulling hair. It also goes on pretty quick because there is only one clip.

I do also have a martingale slip lead I can use also.

As for when they run, they run naked because some venues I run in allow collars with tags, some collars no tags, and some no collars at all. It's easier to just go with no collar at all across the board so there are no oopses that will get us eliminated from a run.