Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bad Habit

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by mimiretz, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon is now 7 months and has developed a really bad habit. When walking down the hallway, he grabs at mine or my husband's pant legs, and growls and wrestles with them. More recently, he'll also grab the hem of my skirt and do the same thing -- pulling at it. Today he actually bit holes in a brand new sundress :mad:

We have tried stopping, making him sit, spraying bitter apple on our clothing, fake crying, talking to him sternly -- nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

2. roguskie

roguskie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Time out? We have used time out on Pippi when she is annoying the cats. As soon as the cats hiss I put her in her ex pen for 10minutes. She learnt very quickly to stop.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I would try diverting his attention with a stuffed toy tied to a string that you drag behind you. Or you can drop a path of cheerios behind you for him to gobble up as he follows you down the hallway. Once the habit of herding and nipping at you has been broken by refocusing on more interesting things you can usually back off the "props".

Trini

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cubby did that but he was only 2-3 months at the time. I ended up losing I think 3 of my skirts that way. I think a few well placed bumps with the foot discouraged that. Not kicks but sort of a block.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla has done that since she was a puppy. We call her our Pant Leg Bandit! She has a very soft mouth, so there's rarely a problem. When I wan her to stop, I use the "AAch" noise.

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Lacey attacks when we go out the front door. I need to stop this and don't know how.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    There's been a few threads on this issue lately. Have a look through the puppy and behaviour sections for them. I have to head out so don't have time to look them up just yet.