Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Smarty pants

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Junebug, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    So, I haven't mentioned my spastic one in awhile. I have Lars, who is about 18 months old. He's got issues, but I think we're beginning to turn the corner. He's starting to mellow, and become a least a little less reactive.

I was amazed again at how quickly he pattern trains. Over the weekend, my family was visiting my in-laws. They have a lovely wooded large lot, and we let the dogs off leash to practice recalls. On the third recall (my husband and I were calling him between us) Lars quit waiting for the actual call. He'd come, sit, get the treat, and race to the other person.
    Now I know this can be a big no-no if I were competition training him, but I was just impressed with his ability to quickly create a pattern, and his willingness to run off leash between us without becoming overwhelmed and chasing his shadow.

Baby steps. That's how I'm looking at this. We're making progress.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Yes, it does take baby steps to work through issues, but it sounds like Lars is really responding and making substantial progress. Good work...it does pay off. :smile2:

Trini

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    That's fantastic. My husband and I do this with Honey when we're on walks to tire her out, she loves the game.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    We told Beckon, "When you turn four, you get your brains!!!" :yes: