Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tail Wagging

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Judyg, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Does anyone else have a Sheltie that does not wag it's tail? I don't remember if I had posted about this before, but I could not find in in a search.

Lacey seems to be a very happy puppy, but she never wags her tail. Why would this be? I have had dogs for my whole life and have never had one that was not a tail wagger.

2. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Oddly enough

Oddly enough we've had three in a row that weren't real crazy on the idea. Don't know why. Chelsea was a very happy girl but usually only wagged when I came in the door from work or she was playing outside. My wife would tease me with "Why don't you give me that kind of attention when I greet you at the door?" My shameless reply was "If you wagged your tail like that maybe I would!". (She's an expert with rabbit punches BTW.) Our first rescue (Border Collie) Daisy wasn't much of a tail wagger but would gaze in admiration at my Mom when Mom would sing to her, then she would gently wag. Claire only wags her tail if she is running and playing outside. But she's still getting used to us.
    My Dad's Rescue is part BC part Lab and part Rhinoceros. She wags her tail and knocks over defenceless three year old great grand daughters. All she has to do is breathe and she wags her tail.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    None of mine are huge tail waggers. It's just not their way of showing that they are happy. There are a few cues that I can use that get their tails going, but even then it's not a lab-type tail wag. It's slowly back and forth--but I know it means they're happy!

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it has to do with how their tails are set on - because a Sheltie tail is generally set low, it doesn't really "hang out there" to wag, like a Lab's.

On the other hand, our resident neutered pet Sheltie has a cute little squirrel-tail (he flips it up over his back when he's feeling merry), and he can certainly get it going. :rolleyes2:

My Cocker's tail wags constantly (I think it's hooked up directly to her heart), but she has a three-inch stump that's set at 45 degrees out of her back - so again, I think it's largely structural.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cubby is a NO wag kinda guy. He lifts his tail up like a husky but not over the back like a spitz when happy. He has a really huge squirrel tail so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Oddly, he will wave his tail back and forth for Melli but that is the only tail response other than lifting he does.

Now Melli has a much less heavy tail, with the long strands dangling instead of bottle brush. She is a wagger. For me, Daddy, if you talk to her. You get a lay down thump thump or a standing wag.

I have no clue what makes them waggers or not.

6. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Hanna isn't really a tail wagger either - can't really recall her ever doing it. But she is a master of the 'play bow', and the 'toss the toy' at you when she wants attention.

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Wagging your tail isn't as much fun as spinning in circles. Says Annabelle Wiggle LaRue Lee.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Edan doesn't so much as wag his tail but swish it from side to side. Sometimes I'll talk to him and ask him a question and I'll get two or three small swishes in response. When he's excited and playing it may swish a little faster but still nothing like a lab's or similarly set tail.

Most of the time though, he just stands there with a big Sheltie smile on his face.

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby isn't much of a tail wagger either. She will wag her tail when playing but not much at all.

Hollie on the other hand was a big tail wagger. All you had to do was talk to her and her tail would start going. I loved when she would wag while laying down. Shelby's tail is much heavier and set lower than Hollie's was so maybe that is why.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Lacey is not a spinner either. she does jump though.