Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

So Smart One Minute and...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Jean, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    ... so exasperating the next. (Just a tiny rant.)

Potty training. Nighttime? Perfection. (Practically since I brought him home--minus the hospital time and that doesn't count, he'll go "potty and poop" and he's back in his sleeping carryall--5-10 minutes tops. Of course, neighbors must think I'm nuts, throwing "praise parties" in the middle of the night for a pup going potty or poop.) Daytime? Not so much. Same "praise parties" for going in yard (and same neighbors probably thinking that I'm nuts)--none for going in house (just scooped up and brought outside--have even caught him in mid-poop.) Yet there's no connection.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    How old is he? Does he get to roam free when you are not watching him? Your goal is to have no accidents in the house, or as few as you can manage - that means a combination of watching & confinement when you can't, until you are certain your pup knows pee & poop go outside and only outside. Once they have been consistent indoors you graduall give them more access to the house and see that goes. I think we were about 6 months before I trusted Hanna fully while we were at home and a few more months before I stopped usingthe crate when we went out. It's a been a while so can't recall exact dates.

It's frustrating but he will get there.

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    hit and miss

Kaleigh didn't have potty problems. Savannah, whole other story. She goes on command outside, but something about when temps drop...she will go outside then come in and squat. I find it exasperating, because my other shelties were EASY to potty train, at 8 mths...Savannah still can't be trusted, so she is still confined when I depart because she just doesn't GET IT yet. I tell her all the time she is a disgrace to the breed, ha.. If the weather is reasonable, no issues, but something about cold temps erases her ability to remember that potty is to be done OUTSIDE

4. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    NO WAY can he be trusted on the rare times I'm not home. He's in his comfy den then (thankfully and "knock on wood" he doesn't soil his den--see? he can tell the difference there too.) Should have called him "Li'l rascal" instead of Blaze! (I know, be patient. Someday he'll treat my house in the daytime like he does at night!

As for Kaleigh, don't blame her for wanting to be warm when "taking care of business".

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Actually Kaleigh is the good one, Savannah is my challenge pup. The owner of the natural pet store I frequent says Savannah is just not a winter girl, she thinks when it consistently warms up, Savannah will not have issues. At 8 mths, I think it is HIGH time potty training clicked. But see Savannah was my 1st winter puppy, my others I got spring/summer, and that was smarter in my climate, because potty training in freezing temps is INSANE, ha. Maybe it is the blaze thing on their lil heads. Savannah has a great blaze, and a racing stripe on her nose, ha...maybe that did something to their ability to GRASP potty training, ha...just kidding:eek2:

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Jean, Blaze is still very young and accidents are going to happen. When you can't watch him, he should be crated or confined to a limited area. Another option is to connect him to you with a leash so he's never out of sight.

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Praise him outside (to heck with what the neighbors think), if you catch him inside, get him outside immediately; if you don't clean it up. In both cases where he goes where he isn't supposed to I'd make a small fuss. Just act sad and disappointed; no yelling or other corrections. Comments like "I'm so disappointed in my big boy", not said harshly but with a hit of sadness actually does register with our Shelties. They understand and remember more than we give them credit for.

7. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Don't do the harsh (heck, little Blaze is even avoiding treats if I use the noisy clicker--I'd end up scaring him if I yelled) but I guess I really need to brush up on my overly dramatic acting skills over a "small dark present" left in the house. :rolleyes2: (It's when I am preparing one of his meds that gives him just that little time and ... But we'll get there.

Pottying doesn't seem to be a problem since I use that "hurry-hurry" and he's constantly set up for success (so many times day and twice now at night). He has NO DOUBT there, but the other?--hard to catch for a "jackpot of treats" :wink2:.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    If you know this is when the accident is most likely to happen, maybe this is when you want to attach his leash to your hip and keep him with you.

You can watch him out of the corner of your eye while preparing his medicine and, as soon as you see him preparing to go, scoop him up and rush him outside. The medication will be OK for the few minutes you need to take him outside to poop.

He may not like it very much, because of his limited mobility, but you can talk to him in a happy voice as you work and set him up for successful pooping outdoors.