Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Still not friendly

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by barbie456, Apr 20, 2015.

1. barbie456

barbie456 Forums Novice

Aug 4, 2013
    florida
    My sheltie is now three years old. Hasn't changed his behavior since he was a puppy. People come into the house and he wants to attack them until they sit down . Then forget if they get up to leave he tries to go after there heels ,so now know I now to hold him if they get up to leave. He barks constantly at the neighbors outside , people going by . And forget it if he hears the mailman coming down the road in his truck. Sometimes he will nip us if we tend to correct him when he is barking too much . It's like he is the boss . We have tried all the bells and whistles, water spray, coins in a can, I have tried four different no bark collar. They work at first and then it' s like he don't mind. I' ve tried li- the amine, melatonine nothing seems to calm this dog down. And yet there are times when he. can be so lovable.

2. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Certainly don't know if it's helpful for Shelties, but since it is for other breeds when they act "full of themselves" as if they were the boss, has a NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) program been tried?

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I am sorry you are having issues with your little Sheltie.

Water spray, coins in a can and no bark collars are all negative training methods and don't work well on Shelties. Instead of helping undo the bad behavior, these negative methods equate something really unpleasant with the situation that is triggering the behavior and only up the stress level rather than decrease it. Some dogs respond to negative training with fear and "obedience" as a way to stay safe from more punishment, others respond with aggression...neither of which is what you want.

A dog needs a pack leader (his human) to be someone he 100% trusts to protect him, help him cope with things that he sees as threatening and a leader who stays calm and in control so he doesn't have to try and control everything himself in order to feel safe.

At 3 years old, the interaction between you and him and his behavior patterns are well established and it would be good if you can find a qualified dog behaviorist or trainer who only uses positive reinforcement to help you get a fresh start and turn this around. If that is not available in your area, a well run (again only positive methods) obedience class should also help.

I wish you the best. He sounds like a lovable little guy when he is not in reactive mode to things he feels he needs to control.

Trini

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    barbie456 - Sorry to read about your problems, I understand your frustration about your little boy.

Totally agree with trini - definitely also about positive / negative training.

The other day, I actually fell above this excellent guide that Caro has written http://sheltieforums.com/showpost.php?p=277773&postcount=2

Maybe you have to start all over again with the training :fl

I link to the post - perhaps it could also help others.

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    the dog whisperer

I like the Jan Ferrell approach...might try reading her book.

6. barbie456

barbie456 Forums Novice

Aug 4, 2013
    florida
    Thank you

Thank you for your response. I will keep on trying .

7. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I think the best bet for you would be to hire a personal trainer for your dog. S/he would teach you and your dog a lot of things. We hired a trainer for a few sessions because Sandi used to herd the moving cars and that was dangerous. He taught us what to do that she stops herding the cars. List all the problems you have and get a trainer. Yes, to hire a trainer costs money but it's worth it. If you can't hire a trainer consider attending some behavior classes at PetSmart or another pet store whichever provides such. PetSmart classes are less expensive that hiring a trainer.

To invest in either one will pay off. You'll get your better behaving dog.
    Good luck to you. :)