Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cerumene

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by sable, Apr 25, 2015.

1. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Has anyone ever used this ear medicine? Its a liquid you pour down the ear
    canal. Did it cause problems to the ears and skin?

As I stated in a post about Lil' Lady and the vet stated it was a fungus, I used
    this med for her ears he suggested. I got to thinking about her skin on each side of her neck. I was thinking how she lays outside with her head laying on her paws. I believe this ear med ran out of her ears onto her skin and just in a couple of days the hair is gone. On the bottle it states it may irritate the ears. Not only
    the ears but her neck on each side.

I am so upset with this entire situation all the way around, then the erratic
    way her thyroid is acting. The pills did clear everything up fast, so again that
    is why I am eliminating the fungus. I am going to make him take a scrapping.

If I get disgusted I have two vets I can choose from, I will ask for her file and
    walk. Nice to have have four vets in the same office, BUT, they are not on the
    same page. Like her thyroid med. Give her this amt. that amt. Three different
    vets with different ideas.

The hair will grow back I am just devastated.

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Sounds like treatment was harsher than the original complaint. Sigh, that isn't good. 4 Vets, differing opinions?? yikes, and in that situation-who do you choose? who knows best? Goes back to the "practicing medicine" with your pet as the guinea pig, and at your expense, which is SUCH a petpeeve with me. I know diagnosis is not always easy, but since I am older, I see that the "progression" in medicine is regression for lack of a better term. It use to be, you took your pet to a vet and they got helped, now it is a roulette game of tests, meds, procedures, and then the big "I dunno know". And many times they are worse off then when you started. Is it the dis-eases are more complicated now, or the Vets aren't as trained as before is my quandary. Pets LIVED longer is what I remember, and they didn't have as many health issues like now. What changed? and why is it NOT for the better in most instances?

This is NOT good for you or Lil Lady, and I would be devastated as well. Blessings on your search for the best course of action for her health!!!!

3. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks tesslyn. I have been around a lot of dogs. Yes this is a situation alright.

I have even changed her food to Earth Born. Many good things in this food, and
    the protein is just right. They ate Wellness, great food, just making sure along
    with the skin the food did not cause skin problems for her.

The last vet put Lil' Lady back on a 1/2 pill in the morning and at night. He
    gave her pills to help the skin. Before this one med is gone she is going back.
    I am going to check when this last vet is in, and if anything is pulled on her
    or me, I am going to pull her file and go to this other vet at a different location.

I am going to make certain this time a skin scrapping is done. What I am so worried about is her immune system. Like you stated she is not going to be a
    test animal.

I have been so upset over this, my nerves are so bad and Lady knows it I think,
    she stays right by me ALL the time. LOVE IT, LOVE HER.

Thanks for your support!!!

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog was on liquid ear medication a few years ago for an ear infection. I don't remember exactly which medication it was, but it didn't cause any fur lose or side effects. It cleared up the infection.

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    The other one that I use is fine starts with an M $31 for this little bottle, I have to look at the name, that is fine. The main reason this thought came up, my son's dog had the same reaction to this. Like a dummy because I was so upset my
    DIL and I read the reaction, could turn the skin red and be an irritant. The vet
    I seen before the last one swears by this, I used bad words and I used swearing
    words at it.

If you can remember what you used let me know.

I will say I think the latest vet has her on the right track with the thyroid meds.
    Her ears are looking good without the stuff I named that is poured down the ear
    canal, and shaking her head where it all comes out all over her neck.

Thanks for all the support.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I just went through my dog box in the attic. My dog was prescribed Mometmax for her ear infection.

I'm glad Lil Lady is starting to feel better.

7. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Mometamax is the good ear med, it really works. The Cerumene is horrible.
    Lady doesn't have problems way down in her ear canal, so WHY the vet loves
    this stuff I have no idea, its terrible.

Like I said, you put it in her ears, she shakes her head, it comes out and takes
    the hair right off her body. Mometamax is worth the money. Hoping I can get
    her thyroid meds straightened out. This entire situation has my nerves so unsettled.

Thanks so much! I deeply appreciate all the support.