Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Big Scare

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by mimiretz, Apr 26, 2015.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    So last night Lee and I were watching TV in our bedroom when all of a sudden my lamp went out and Oberon ran out of the room screaming. Turns out he had chewed through the cord (not a big habit of his, although the rescue we had before him did chew a lot of cords) and gotten a shock. Of course we rushed him to a 24-hour vet clinic.

Fortunately, there were no burns in his mouth and everything checked out normal -- his heart rate was good, lungs and all major organs functioning normally. The vet said to check his mouth 2 times a day because burns could show up later and to come back if he seemed to have any difficulty breathing, or if he started having problems eating.

All in all, we got off very lucky -- but it was still scary. When we got home, Lee (who's an electronic tech and very comfortable working with electrical stuff) went through the house and made sure all cords were anchored to the walls and safely out of the way; something we probably should have done earlier, but since Oberon has never chewed on cords before, just didn't think about.

2. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    Poor Oberon! How scary for you guys :( glad he's home again and hopefully everything checks out ok over the next few days! Hugs for Oberon :hugs

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Mimi,

How utterly scary!!! I am so glad Oberon is doing ok!!!! What is it with accidents this year :-0. No more OK???? You can tell him he can be a live wire, just NOT to sink his teeth into them for add jolt. Blessings on your family!!!!

4. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    How terrifying for you! What a relief Oberon checked out ok, and hopefully no burns show up. I really feel for you, sometimes our pups just find trouble that we'd never anticipate :hugs

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree!! I am so sorry he had to go through this, possibly he has learned his lesson now? We pray he has. The added insurance of making sure all the cords in the home are secure is right move!

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    So thankful Oberon is OK!

Trini

7. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    So scary. So glad he's okay. (Sheltie pups can seem to get in more trouble than "you can shake a stick at"!)

So glad the emergency vet checked him out okay.

8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I bet you could dangle a cord through the center of his food bowl and he would leave it alone after that.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh my! So glad he is okay!

10. Qzee

Qzee Forums Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    NJ
    Wow, how scary. Poor Oberon, I hope he learned his lesson after that.