Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dang girl - I gotta SLEEP!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Woodbender, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Claire has taken to scraping on the bedroom door at night. Assuming that she has to go out but not enough really to warrant all the fuss. Take her out and yes she'll pee but "really? - that was it?".
    She is smart and learned that she can wake me bolt upright in bed by scraping on our door to get out into the rest of the house. Is she bored? Is she not getting enough exercise during the day? (very possible)
    We have not tried placing her in the new IRIS pen for the night. That might be an option. We might try an evening walk to help her wind down etc. I'd rather not do the 3mg melatonin thing, but it's like her DAYS AND NIGHTS are flipped.
    *Sigh* I love her to pieces but I got about 4 hours of sleep the last two nights.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Does she present a chewing/safety problem if left free range of the house? Maybe letting her roam would make your nights a bit easier... she may be trying to keep watch...something she had to do while in the wild to stay safe. Habits born of necessity can be hard to let go and she still hasn't been with your family for that long.

Trini

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Woodbender

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Good question Trini. If she is in the house at night versus our bedroom she paces the hallway and keeps everyone up. So we need to find a medium somehow. We're going to take her on a longer walk tonight and see if we can wear her out a bit.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Is this new behavior, Tim? It sounds like that's the case. If so, wearing her out may help a lot. Lots of play and walk time after dinner...run her around the yard before bed. If she likes to chew, give her a chew bone to keep her occupied longer (also a stress reducer) and see if that helps.

If all else fails, the melatonin won't hurt her, so you can feel safe giving her one about an hour or so before bedtime. She may only need it for a few nights to get her sleep cycle sorted out. Be aware though that melatonin doesn't work on everyone. Some dogs don't feel any effect at all. Still, worth a try.

I'm finding that my pack are waking up earlier in the mornings now that it's light earlier....no more sleeping past 6, even on the weekends! Sometimes I think the seasonal change has something to do with their sleeping as well.

5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens went through a period when he'd do this with his bells; he'd ring them any time he wanted something, not necessarily to go out. At one point he'd ring, we'd go do the door, then he'd refuse to go out! At that point I started forcing him out, and before long he got tired of it. Now he rings only when he needs or wants to go out, and gets my attention by bringing a toy, dropping it at my feet, and staring right through me with that fixed, expressionless gaze of his.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Uuum...I have to ask why she is sleeping outside your door. Is their a reason why she is not sleeping in the same room?

I was able to train my dogs NOT to sleep on my bed when David was staying over. It was simple.....Off! They figured out pretty quick that when David was not there, they were welcome.

7. Woodbender

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Maybe I wrote that wrong. She's sleeping in our bedroom with us. We prefer that actually. She scratches on the door to get OUT of our bedroom. As far as sleeping ON the bed, I don't think that will work. It's a very tall mattress set and I am concerned about her (Claire) not landing right to get down and hurting her back. I don't think Childbride would go for it, we still cuddle after 34 years of being married.

Ann it seems to be new. Everything is new to this poor girl. NONE of this is normal to her. She is smart, she found out (recently so yes that part is new) that daddy wakes up fast and sputtering when she scratches to get out of our bedroom.

Mignarda, she's afraid of bell type sounds! Our Chelsea used to bat sleigh bells around like cats do yarn balls. But not Claire! Plates! Dishes! Snapping! Anything that is a sharp and sudden sound. She runs and sometimes cowers so we really have to watch and learn. This girl DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO PLAY! We are trying VERY hard to find ways to interest her in playing. It's like she's just been so confined that she's not had exposure to playing. One of these days she'll cut loose and we'll fall over laughing.

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Could she possibly just be training you to get what she wants, out of the bedroom?

Shelby went through a phase like that and finially we had to just say enough. We knew she really didn't have to pee she just knew we would get up and let her out. Even though she will pee every time you let her out.

We just had to ignor her shenanigans and not respond to her. Now Shelby is extreemly persistent when she wants something so it did take us quite some time until she finially gave up. Like a few weeks. We had a lot of sleepless nights, we wore earplugs to bed to help dampen her consistent barking and ear piercing crying. But she now never wakes us up, not even on the weekends when we get to sleep in. I hear her stir just a little bit, she might let out a quite wimper but then she settles back down.

Just a thought.

9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    We don't close the bedroom door at night, and being of a certain age I am awake a lot at night so have (sadly LOL) opportunities to observe my boys nightly behaviors. I was surprised how often they move. On the bed, off the bed, on the tile in the hall, on the couch, back on the bed...perhaps Claire is just wanting a different spot! Black out curtains in the bedroom keep Fillion sawing logs on the bed in the morning, while Koko (who prefers the couch) is wide awake at 5 with the birds!

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Tim - If she sleeps a lot during the day and are not getting used her brain / energy, so it is natural that she can not sleep all night, too.

If she pee when you go out, it was doubtless why she woke you up. - I would say good girl Claire. :lol:

We do not know what she has in her "backpack" from her former life, maybe she has been forced to take small eyes shut, and not slept a whole night, she should perhaps be on guard all the time. We do not know and will never know.

I think you are on the right track by walking some good walks during the day, where she gets read some "dogs newspapers", and as you say a long walk before you go to bed.

She need to get used something good energy, now she does not need to be on guard all the time when she is with you.

You have only had her for four months - And has achieved so much in the short time :yes:

Remember two steps forward and one step back is very normal.