Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Making the decision...

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Choppi, May 15, 2015.

1. Choppi

Choppi Forums Novice

May 15, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Hello! Nice to meet everyone, my name is Lauren and I have completely fallen head over heels for shelties. I have been researching countless hours on every aspect of the sheltie, but I am still unable to make the life changing decision and am looking for a little help.

I currently have several cats, a toy poodle puppy, and guinea pigs - all of which are strictly indoors. They are my life!! I live in a large house and am home 24/7. If nobody will be home, my toy poodle comes with me, but there is always someone home 99.9% of the time. My parents also live here, and they are also home all day every day as they are retired. They love the animals just as much as I do (which is a LOT!) and so they all have constant attention and care. To top it all off, I have already found a sheltie puppy that I have fallen for. I have been talking to the breeder who has been more than amazing, and now it's finally come down to the final decision. To me this would sound like the decision would be easy, but we have some concerns.

The first concern is size. The pup I am looking at is expected to grow 16lbs. As we are used to having very small animals (the toy poodle is basically a cat too LOL), we are a little concerned about the size. I understand that it is small for a sheltie, which is awesome, and I would be happy with that size. I am just mostly worried about it still being 'too much' to handle. Housebreaking is also a concern as I'd prefer to take the dog outside as little as possible. Speaking of which, I live in a small rural suburb that is perfect for walks, so I would occasionally go out with her. But I have read that they need DAILY walks - and not just 10 minute ones! That is probably my biggest concern of all, as I'd want a very much indoor dog. Our house is big enough for her to run around inside, though, and I'd be doing things nonstop with her to keep her active and not bored. Would that work? My mother is also very worried about nonstop 'cat herding' - does anyone have any experiences with that? Finally, the hair. We initially got a toy poodle because we were worried about possibly being allergic to dogs. We have not had a single issue and are on allergy shots, but should it still be a worry?

This is going to be my last addition of this generation of my animal family. I am new to owning dogs, but the toy poodle has been so perfect that I want to have my 'dream' breed to finalize my 'herd'! It is either a sheltie or a pomeranian, and it has been very difficult, but my heart is leaning more and more towards the sheltie and less and less the pomeranian (my initial pick before researching it and other breeds). I have a feeling that a sheltie would be so much more rewarding and fitting for a family household. I am looking for a companion that is always at my side, and I feel as though the sheltie fits that perfectly.

Thank you for reading my long rambling, and I hope that I'm just worrying too much about everything! :')

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm glad you came on to ask. Shelties are gorgeous and of course we all love them here. But they aren't a breed for everyone.

Shelties are a working dog and very smart and they do need daily activities and daily walks, they need to be challenged and kept busy, they need to go outdoors and visit new environments. I'm afraid running around the house and the occasional walk is not going to fulfil a sheltie's needs. A sheltie that's not challenged and exercised will end up very neurotic, barky and skittish and one that will invent jobs for itself if you don't give it the challenges. So think barking at everything, chewing, obsessive compulsive behaviours, and barking at everything (I'll say that twice because they can be bad). And while ordinarily shelties are a great breed with small animals, including cats, a bored sheltie may pester them continuously for something to do.

It sounds like your lifestyle is better suited to a toy breed than a sheepdog. Keep in mind though that Poms are fairly active for a toy breed, although nowhere near as energetic as a Sheltie.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I tend to agree with Caro. While not all shelties have tons and tons of energy they are busy and curious dogs. They are not true lap dogs (though some do enjoy sitting in your lap for a bit!) and I'd be hesitant to keep one mostly indoors.

I think a pomeranian or a King Charles Spaniel might be more of what you are looking for.

4. Choppi

Choppi Forums Novice

May 15, 2015
    Indiana, USA
    Oh... how heartbreaking!! Thank you for letting me know when you did as I almost got the puppy. I've decided against it as I wouldn't be able to give it the active life it deserves. I'm devastated, but I'm also sure that a toy breed will work out better in the end after all. Thanks again, truly glad I joined to ask!

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I totally agree with the others. :yes:

I am new Sheltie owner (the last 30 years German Shepherd)

When we are in our house in the city with a small garden, I go at least two walks of 1 hour + 1 walks in about half an hour every day regardless of the weather. She could use more.

When we are in our cottage spring / summer so we are out in the large garden the whole day, but still we go two walks to the beach of at least 3/4 hour every day. I can look at her that this activity level is appropriate. :lol:

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am just the opposite of the others. I have 3 dogs & 2 cats all inside. I am home 24/7 also and my dogs go out to potty and that's it. We don't take walks as it is dangerous where I live. The dogs play in our spacious home and they are calm and fine. I have 2 shelties & a shepherd. We don't herd each other. We don't herd the cats. We do play games like finding hidden treats or scent (nosework) and we do training classes pretty much weekly with daily training sessions inside or on our deck. The shelties I have don't shed at all. They don't have huge coats either. My shepherd is the shedder.

If the puppy is not a performance line bred for being busy busy busy there really is not a problem -- at least not with the shelties I have.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  7. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    If it makes you feel better, I've known a few poms and many of them have had the "glued to your side" aspect that you're looking for. They are also more lap dogs, my sheltie is just now after four years starting to cuddle, before that she has way to much energy!

Just remember, although dogs have plenty of personality on their own, when you get them as pups, how you raise them has a big impact as well. Poms can be great family dogs, so long as everyone takes part from the beginning.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I tend to disagree as well.

All Shelties are different. I've had couch potatoes and go-getters both.

The one thing though is that they DO need some level of exercise - as do all dogs, btw! Daily walks/runs is fine. But it does not need to be a marathon. Play in the backyard chasing balls or Frisbees works too. Or inside the house works too.

Your Sheltie will tell you when its time for an energy release.

Shelties can go to fat very quick, so that is the only caution. So you DO have to watch their weight.

That being said, I find they are a perfect sized dog. Not too big, and not to
    too small, and your's will be particularly small anyway.

In my experience, and don't get me wrong, (I like Poms) Pom's are dogs with big dog attitude. They can be snarky and bity unless properly socialized from birth (I guess that goes with any dog, btw). But more so with the smaller dogs.

Personally, I just love the personality of a Sheltie more. And a 16 lb or even a 30 lb Sheltie won't necessarily take over your poodle.

It's not always the case, but your toy poodle will probably maintain top dog status anyway.

Just giving you food for thought

9. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hi Choppi, welcome to Sheltie Nation from a former Hoosier. I'm so glad you stopped by and asked the inquiring questions needed to help you make a good decision for your household. I live in an apartment and there used to be a couple that lived above and they adopted 2 miniature Greyhounds. From what you are describing that you are looking for, these little Greyhounds sound like they would be perfect for your situation, they are not dogs that like being outside at all and stick to their humans like velco. They are shorthaired and do not shed, it might be something for you to look into. Good luck. :smile2:

10. posiepurrs

posiepurrs Forums Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    western Massachusetts
    Our Sheltie is fine with my cats. I breed and show Persian cats so I kind of think he thinks he is a large cat!:lol: He is one of the Shelties who is content with trips outside multiple times a day for play and potty.
    As for the suggestion of a greyhound, I would be wary of any sight hound or terrier breeds with the types of other pets you have. The dog could look at them as prey. I can't off much of a suggestion on the Pom other than the 2 I have been around did have a snarky attitude. Just my opinion.