Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Barley pup at 10.5 weeks and ear question

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Fireweed, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Fireweed

Fireweed Forums Regular

Mar 9, 2015
    Manitoba, Canada
    He's definitely gotten a lot ganglier and is well on his way to the funny coyote stage that's coming up. :) Still super cute though!

Anyways, just wanted to ask your advice about his ears. One ear has gone up and is sitting pretty nicely on the top of his head, while the other ....just sort of hangs there. :LOL:

I was thinking of taping his ears as I have some Sheltie ear tape. I've found tutorials online and our breeder is available as well, but she's an hour away and if I can do it myself I will. Will taping help the other ear come up too - or should I give it more time to see if it comes up on it's own?

Thankfully they're not looking like they want to go prick at all. That might change later (?) but one pup in his litter already had prick ears at 9 weeks so I would think if his were going to go prick I'd be seeing signs already?

Here are some new photos so you can see what I'm talking about. :)

http://i.imgur.com/kwnrlw4.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/qGti9Je.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rRr4lfs.jpg

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Unfortunately I'm no help with the ear, but just want to say "I seemed Barley is unusually beautiful" :yes:

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What a cutie!!

At that age, everything is growing disproportionately. One day the ears will be perfect and the next they will be floppy or prick. If you let them go they will eventually settle in to a permanent position, but there's really no way to tell if they will be up, tipped or down unless you take action now and tape them.

We weren't concerned with our boys so we let them go and Jackson has nicely tipped ears (except when it rains :wink2:). Franklin's ears are pretty much flopped, even though at one point we though they might have stayed prick.

This is Jackson.

This is Franklin.

4. Fireweed

Fireweed Forums Regular

Mar 9, 2015
    Manitoba, Canada
    Aw thanks Hanne, you're sweet!

5. Fireweed

Fireweed Forums Regular

Mar 9, 2015
    Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks for sharing! Your boys are gorgeous. Funny how many coat and ear changes Shelties go through while growing up!

6. cmae

cmae Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2014
    Kelowna, BC
    Well, you definitely aren't helping with my puppy fever.. he is absolutely adorable!! As for the ears, teething makes them go all wonky so it is difficult to tell how they will end up until much, much later. If you do want the tipped ears, then I would start taping/gluing now.. the drive to the breeder is worth it to learn how to do it yourself, OR there are lots of videos you can watch as well :smile2: enjoy your baby!

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on the ears, I just wanted to tell you how handsome your baby is, I love all the puppy fuzzies and all the ear positions at this stage just add to their cuteness. At this point, they are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Enjoy this beautiful little boy, unfortunately the puppy stage flies by way too fast. :fl :smile2:

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he is cute:smile2:
    yes, learn from the breeder or someone else with ear tipping knowledge if you want tipped ears when Barley is grown:yes:

9. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I have to agree he's really beautiful. I even like the ears the way they are :)

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Ditto.

Not being into showing I have always just let my shelties ears do whatever they want to do. Several of mine have/had perfectly tipped ears, some have been 100% prick, a couple have/had one prick and one tipped and a couple of mine have/had "hound" ears.

Barley has one of the sweetest faces I have seen...he is adorable no matter who his ears do/will do.

Trini