Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pumpkin - Forever?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by ttexan, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ttexan

ttexan Forums Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    Toby had some diarrhea about a week ago. Not bad but messy. For the first time I tried a spoon of pumpkin in his regular food. It stopped the problem with 2 days. However, he really loved the pumpkin mixed in with his regular dry food + spoon of canned.

My question - is it OK to continue to give him the pumpkin as a regular part of his diet?

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    mine love it

it is a veggie and so not harmful at all...My girls like it, it has fiber and because I have chow hounds I try to give them fiber to fill the bottomless pits that they are...:lol:

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    It won't hurt to give on a long-term basis. Mine love it.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My vet actually recommended that I give all of mine a spoonful with each feeding after Lacey had a bout with constipation over the winter. I've done it ever since and, along with probiotics every day, it's really helped keep their systems running well. And it's true, they all do love it!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Mine get pumpkin every day as I cook their meals. Right now it's the main ingredient in their meals (it's winter here so pumpkins are cheap). It's a healthy filler, good for intestinal and bowel health and the dogs absolutely love it.

6. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Pumpkin--"softens what needs to be softened and firms what needs to be firmed."

7. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Tucker who had a FCE last year, gets a tablespoon each meal to keep him regular. He loves it, I tried to wean him off it, and besides the fact that he needed it to push things along, he kept looking at his bowl like hello crazy lady im missing something. :)