Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rough Weekend for Claire BUT!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Woodbender, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Boy Claire had a rough weekend. I think a lot of people did huh?. Saturday and Sunday of course were bad with fireworks going off at exactly the wrong time. We had some stragglers last night I guess and maybe some got bought at the 75% off tent sales. Who knows but I had to take Claire out on a long retractable lead last night again for "Last Call". I thought "hmmm been quiet for about ten minutes but I'd better just hook her on the lead just in case". It's a big yard and if she really gets hauling in a panic she can build up a lot of speed and hit something in the dark. Easy to prevent. As it turned out we JUST got down off the deck onto her grass area and off goes a multiple shot display across the cul-de-sac. Thump-bang thump-bang thump-bang for about 18 shots! Claire went haywire. I had to calm her down right away so as she was running in circles around me I retracted in more and more line until I could kneel down on the ground about 30" from her. Her "shut-down" mode is actually a "sit", so she actually let me approach her in her panic. In a calm voice I started petting her and stroking her face and cheeks. She has rarely EVER let me hug her but she did last night while I was trying to calm her down outside! Hallelujah! I continued the cheek scritches and neck rubs until she stopped shaking. I just HAD to calm her down, she would have injured herself hitting the stairs at full speed. So no videos this week but she is LEARNING that we are okay and she can trust us when she's scared. A couple nights ago she went right to Theresa after a close boomer went off, and THAT was unusual as well. I don't like seeing her scared like that but I am very pleased that she is coming to us when she needs reassurance! (BTW I did try a Thundershirt this weekend and she pretty much exploded. Some other time then, I don't want to have it become a mental "block")

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    4th of July is such a rough time for so many dogs. I'm really glad you thought to put her on leash before taking her out just in case something happened. Its absolutely fantastic that she's trusting you when she's scared. Sorry to hear the Thundershirt didn't work, you definitely don't want something that is supposed to help to cause mental anguish.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered trying performance sports with her? They really help build confidence is dogs. I know many rescue dogs who really came to life learning rally, obedience, agility, etc. The classes need to be positive reinforcement classes to really help build confidence but they really do help.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Sorry to hear that Claire had a rough weekend. Mine were upset on Saturday night...the rest of the time was pretty quiet around here.

4. Woodbender

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Will need to look at that maybe. She has such timidity and fear issues now that it may be a while. Classes first maybe even for us to know how to communicate with a barn-breeder rescue isolated most of her life. She is extremely intelligent and coming out of her shell though so she might really take off with it. hmmmm.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    4th of July is a really tough time for many dogs and especially so for some rescues who sadly may have been shot at while on the run. I am really glad to hear that Claire is learning to seek comfort from you, Theresa and Ben...that is a big step in trusting.

Trini

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Basic classes are the perfect place to start. I'd even suggest taking classes that would help build skills toward taking the CGC test. CGC, Canine Good Citizen, is all about basic behavior and interacting with others on a high level. Some examples of the skills are allow someone to touch her feet and ears (great for vet visits), run a bush lightly over her back (great for groomers), sitting while you say hello to another person with a dog (which can happen if you take her out for a walk), and other more true to life scenarios.

Will these skills be easy for her, probably not at first but repeating this sort of class should help her over time (even if you NEVER take the actual test).

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'm so sorry your sweet little Claire had to go through this awful time but I am so glad that you and Theresa are becoming Claire's safe zone. It is so wonderful to hear that she is learning she can trust you and knows you will not let anything bad happen to her. :hugs

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Tim - as the proverb - "nothing is so bad -that is not - good for anything else" :no:

Very sorry for Claire that she would be so scared, but good for her (and you) that she dared to believe that you could protect her.

I seemed that you, Theresa and Ben all the time making very good progress in the difficult art - to get Claire to feel safe :yes:

I seemed you must continue exactly as you are doing now, make her daily life as quiet and safe as you can. :fl

I and many others have had positive experiences with "Bach's Rescue Remedy" Drops - for example about insecurity and fireworks

9. Woodbender

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Hanne you are not the first one to mention "Rescue Remedy". I will take a closer look! Thank you!
    (your English is improving I think!) :yes:

10. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    Poor girl, she must have been so stressed! And what a smart Daddy to put her on a leash, she could have hurt herself if she was that freaked out. I'm glad she let you comfort her too, she's coming along so well.

I hate this time of year so much for the dogs! If I never heard or saw another fireworks, it would be great for me and the dogs.