Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teeth Extraction - 3 years old

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Shyloh, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Shyloh

Shyloh Forums Novice

Jul 25, 2015
    Victoria
    Hello,

My Shyloh is only 3 years old, and in good health. Over the last couple of weeks I noticed a lump forming under his eye around the cheekbone area. I thought he must have bumped into something while playing with his friends, but over time, I noticed it was not going away. I went to the vet and he stated that he was 85% certain it was an abbess tooth in the molar top area of his mouth. I was shocked because all of the remaining teeth are fine. What type of foods could I give him to prevent the remaining teeth from doing this? I do not want to have to clean his teeth through sedation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Note: he never chews on bones, or toys, but at times he will grab a stick or two - but not often. He does not crave a chew, and I feel terribly guilty for what has happened to him. I brushed his teeth, but could never see the back of his mouth, but he would chew the brush and I though it was fine.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I wonder if this may have been initialed by a scratch/puncture from a stick he was chewing...infection can easily set in to a scratch or puncture in the mouth and cause serious issues.

Getting to the back teeth with brushing can be difficult and for a couple of mine who are not easy to do their teeth I add to their bed time routine a hard doggie cookie that is smeared with an enzyme tooth paste. This doubles as their nighttime treat and as they crunch it up the tooth paste gets spread throughout the back of their mouths. I have had good luck with this routine and far less frequent dentals since I started doing this.

Trini

3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana

This is a wonderful idea! I have a hard time with teeth brushing and never thought to do that. Thank you so much! :yes:

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    That's a great idea! What kind of enzyme paste do you use? My little Spirit has stinky breath, even though her teeth are clean and shiny white.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I use C.E.T. brand (mine like the poultry flavor best)...but I suspect any quality doggie enzyme toothpaste would do just as well.

Trini