Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help - spider bite on face

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Caro, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I think Deska has been bitten on the side of his face by a red back spider (black widow relative). I have heaps of them outside and stupidly dragged a bag of garden waste through the house yesterday, and then found several when I came back inside. I've been bitten several times in the past so I know they become excrutiating over a period of 2 weeks.

Here's the problem. Vet is closed. It's already looking raw and bleeding (he probably scratched it). I've cleaned it, put cortisone cream on and given him an antihistamine. I've tried bandaging his head but it doesn't cover it properly, and when he rubs his head on things the bandage uncovers the wound.

Anyone have experience with spider bites and anyone know what I can do to keep him away from the wound?

Attached Files:

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That looks pretty nasty, Caro...poor Deska! I got bitten by a black spider last week and my whole leg had a rash. Took 4 days to clear up. I don't know anything you can do except give Benadryl (which is the best for bites and itching). That should quiet him down and make him drowsy too so he won't scratch. You said you gave antihistamine so you'd probably have to wait -- I don't think you want to give another one right away. Maybe try some ice in a cloth on the spot. That's what they told me to do and it seemed to help.

Good luck, keep us posted.....

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Do you have an e-collar/cone of shame? That would prevent him from scratching at it. Something like Benadryl will help with the itch until you can get him to a vet.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    No e-collar. Just a surgical cape that Tully had for her hip surgery (too small for Deska). I've put a sock on the foot he's using to scratch with (at least that will keep the nails covered until he gets the sock off). Any idea of what I could use to fashion one - I looked at a bucket but they're too big, the recycle bin got collected today so I could find any cardboard.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I think I've made an okay e-collar - sewed up the surgical cape and put it on upside down. The Burmese was petrified when I put it on Deska and is hiding under the bed. Hoping he won't manage to get it off.

The injury is still weeping and bleeding, not sure if I should leave the bandage on his head or leave the wound open.

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Caro, so sorry about poor Deska. I have no experience with spider bites on doggies and am no help with suggestions...just want to send my best wishes that this won't be too painful for little Deska. :no:

Trini

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Do pet stores in your area carry them or the inflatable rings? I know you can buy e-collars/inflatable rings in some of the major pet stores in the US.

I'm torn between covering it and leaving it open. It sounds like you really need to see a vet but it may have to wait until tomorrow since it's night time where you are. I'm thinking leaving it open but keep it clean and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, you'll have to find an emergency vet.

How about putting an antibiotic ointment on it to help prevent infection?

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    HOW AWFUL!
    Poor, poor, Deska!!!
    What a nasty bite! I had no idea a spider could do that!

I can not offer any other recommendations than that others have given.

Spiders are really bad here in Michigan this year!
    I swear by this product:

Ortho® Home Defense MAX® Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-hdm-perimeter-indoor-insect-killer/prod70044#BVRRWidgetID

I have used this for the past two years and NO spider makes it into my house!
    DOA every time!

Hope you get this injury resolved soon and please keep us updated!

9. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    That doesn't look so good. I wouldn't mess with that...I know nothing about spider bites..sorry I am no help.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Poor boy is itching like crazy this morning. Thankfully the sewed up collar stayed put, although it was noisy and kept waking me up when he scratched.

The vet can't see Deska until tomorrow! And the vet nurse said not to put anything on it until they see him so they can take a sample, too cruel, of course I'm putting stuff on it. I don't know whether to just try treat it myself or go back to the local vet (that we left a few years ago). I think it's time to find a back-up vet.

Popping down to chemist to get some Benadryl - what's the dosage?