Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

To neuter or not neuter

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I was planning on getting Piper neutered when he turns 1 year old (he's just over 4 months now) but I wanted to know what everyone's opinion was. I was asking the vet about at what age they test for prostate cancer (6-7 years) and she told me while they do check for it there's nothing they do for it if the dog has it. However the incidence is much higher in altered dogs vs unaltered dogs. I know I'd have to get permission from the breeder but it concerns me that he has a greater chance to get it if I neuter him. (I had Piper at the breeder when a previous puppy buyer had her 10 year old put down due to prostate cancer.)

Thanks

2. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    For prostate cancer?
    Are you sure there is not a communication error here?
    I would ask for a clarification from your veterinarian on that one.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Thank you so much for that post Corbinam, I'd read a few articles regarding risks associated with neutering but this one was the most concise. Im probably going to see about Piper getting a vasectomy when he's older.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Let me tell you a little story . . . Cubby is 15 months old now. Last Spring I researched TO DEATH when and whether I should neuter. I studied every pro and every con there is. I read studies on the incidence of cancer (testicular and prostate). To touch on that since you specifically mentioned it, testicular cancer in whole animals is most often benign and easily found if you check often and then neuter should there be lumps or enlargement. For prostate cancer and bladder cancer the risk is higher in neuters (however no distinction is made on early neuter or later neuter in regards to this) however, the risk or prostatitis in whole males is much higher, esp. if they are smelling intact females a lot. As to the age, IF you neuter, the very best optimum window is 16 months to 2 years. At 16 months all the growth plates have closed and the dog is more structurally sound. Early neuter (like my poor shepherd at 3 months by a shelter) lends to all kinds of problems from legginess to higher chance of bone cancer to higher chance of injury being active like running or agility to yes, a higher incidence of bladder and prostate cancer. So, last Spring, all things considered my mild mannered boy was gonna stay whole. I was not going to risk the 1-2% chance of prostate or bladder cancer. Then, at 10 months, he began to hump everything that moved and a few things that didn't. Melli and the female cat submitted protests in writing. Then the kicker was that on our 20th session in dog class, he peed on the rug. After his Big Lebowski moment, I was done. Cubby was neutered at 11 months (mind you we will never run agility because I have a bad knee). VERY quickly I saw the difference in the dog. He was like a quivering violin string before and afterwards he exhaled and relaxed. In looking at our local "for sale" FB page, I realized just how many local people had intact females AND I googled and found that was coyote breeding season too and I live in a high incidence area. The poor boy was massively sexually frustrated and it was damaging the bond and training we were sharing. I gave it a go and I recognize the benefits of staying whole and the ability for it to be managed behaviorally, but neuter has indeed made him as well as all of us in the house much calmer and happier. I don't want to spend X# of years with a nasty male peeing on the wall, the rug, my bed every time he smells canines in season. I don't want him humping the cat in front of my guests. I will not apologize for having Cubby neutered but it is more important to have a delightful and trustworthy companion for X# of years than a dog I can't take anywhere for X + ? # of years. Seeing him relax after neutering actually convinced me I have done the right thing for us. In any case, though, I did not neuter based on dogma or mantra or PC-ness. It was educated and all things considered.

In brief, not that was brief, don't NOT neuter esp. if you signed a neuter contract clause, because of a 1-2% chance of bladder/prostate cancer especially if you find the dog is unpleasant to live with and his wholeness impairs your goals with him. Best wishes with your choice. I faced this this Spring and understand the dilemma.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I also think you may have gotten some miscommunication there about the prostrate cancer rates. I had a sheltie, who was intact, die of testicular cancer, don't know any desexed dogs that have died of prostrate cancer.

This topic has been raised a lot of this forum, and has become quite heated. Trini has some links to other threads in the reference section that you can look at http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=22312. Also do a search on the word neuter and you'll also see other threads.

And then if you have a chance, look at the adolescent threads and you might decided differently.:wink2: If you were planning on waiting until he is a year old, consider making the decision when he reaches adolescence (6-9mths) and see what his behaviour is like then.

7. Horse Chestnut

Horse Chestnut Forums Regular

Jul 1, 2015
    Columbus, OH
    Mom2Melli, I believe that sexual frustration should be a consideration when deciding whether to neuter your dog. If you are never going to allow your animal to breed, it seems rather cruel to me to leave them intact. I do agree that spaying/neutering young puppies can have an effect on their development, and would not do it myself. But I understand why shelters do this, since they deal with the results of indiscriminate breeding every day.

8. Fireweed

Fireweed Forums Regular

Mar 9, 2015
    Manitoba, Canada
    We're waiting on a year until we decide if we're going to neuter Barley or not. It really comes down to seeing how he's doing with his hormones. I wouldn't mind keeping him unaltered (wouldn't breed him of course) - it just really depends on his temperament.

9. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    That is a very interesting article. Thank you for posting. We had our male Eskie neutered when he was quite young (around 6 months) and he does show some aggression towards other dogs, but only when he is on a leash. Some training should help with that.
    I waited until 13 months to have Lacey spayed. I hope that was a long enough period of time for her bones to have matured. She is a smaller Sheltie at just under 14". She did have one season and my husband was adamant that she not have another one. My trainer wanted us to wait until she was 18 months, but husband said no.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    A couple of thoughts:
    If the rate is higher what IS the rate. For instance if it is 100% higher but the rate of cancer is 0.0001% vs 0.0002% then it is not worth worrying

Also on the 10 year old what is life expectancy? We all die of something and so do our pups.

That said the disclaimers. Sca was a must nueter agreement and it is on his papers. Spitfire was no limitations but I also nuetered him. Other than that he is on the small side IMO (biased) opinion he actually has good build for breed standard. However both my guys are pets first and foremost. Even though Sca does well in flyball he is still a pet first then a flyball dog. So for quality of life for me and them it was fix them both. Good luck on your decision.