Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Suddenly afraid of her bestie

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Estella'smom, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Estella'smom

Estella'smom Forums Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Bethesda, md
    Hi all!

Estella is 2 years and three months old. During the 2014-15 school year, Estella received her 12 noon walk from our neighbor's au pair. Estella had always been best friends with this neighbors border collie.The au pair would take the two dogs to the park to play.

The au pair returned to her native country in July and I went on summer vacation in June. Suddenly, Stella will have nothing to do with her former bestie.

Last night the neighbors came by to visit with their elementary school daughters and the border collie. Stella hid in the bushes until they left.

What gives?

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I really thought about your situation and couldn't think of a reason, other than perhaps your Sheltie was actually more frightened of the kids than the BC friend? I know my girls really avoid children, for whatever reason.

Have you tried another playdate yet?

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    This is very strange. Maybe try doing the playdate somewhere else and see if that's enough of a difference to make her feel comfortable again?

4. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Maybe Estella is looking for the neighbor's au pair that took your Estella and the neighbor's Border Collie out together for a time. Maybe she saw them as a team. Sheltie's like the "order of things".

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'd guess it was the children rather than the BC friend too. Children can be loud and rough and have fast movements and that can be scary for a small dog. Even if the dog had met the children maybe they were just being particularly noisy that day.

6. Estella'smom

Estella'smom Forums Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Bethesda, md
    You all were spot on. Estella was reacting to the children.

I arranged a playdate, as suggested. When the Mom came by with her BFF they were thick as thieves again. It was so nice to see them running through the park together.

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Glad to hear Estella's BC friend is still on her approved list of buddies. :) Children can take some getting used to for a little dog that isn't typically around their sudden movements and voice pitch.

Trini