Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wet the bed?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by jumba, Oct 8, 2015.

1. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    Addie is 10 months old and has been sleeping on our bed since she was 9 or 10 weeks old (maybe since she came home? I don't remember now). She has been a consistent sleep through the night kinda girl since 8 weeks old. I can count on one hand how many times we have had to take her out in the middle of the night.

She is insistent when she does need to go out. She will come sniff in my ear, if that doesn't work then she lays next to me and starts moving around, and last resort she will walk on me (she will do the same to my husband - I am usually the one that gets up with her so I get woken up). When we are up, and if her bells are up she rings them. If they are not up, then she will stand by the door. If we don't see that, then she will jump up and hit the knob.

I wanted to explain all that because I am having a hard time understanding what happened. It was 3 a.m. and my husband said that Addie jumped, ran to him, and was clingy. I woke up when he turned on the light. There was her walk pee mark (straight line), and two bigger, round wet spots. He said her back end was wet. I felt her fluff and tail and she was damp, like it had happened a while before that. But it was all over her stuffie, her blanket, and our comforter.

She is acting fine today. What could cause this? Do dogs have nightmares? If she had control over it, that would be the second accident she had in a week. And to pee on the bed is a bigger issue than on the floor.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Jamie, I would take a urine sample into your vet to check for a possible UTI.

Trini

3. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    Ok - I will have to google how to get a clean catch lol.

I was wondering if that could be a possibility, rather than behavioral.

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I agree with Trini.

And the best way to get a urin sample, my vet told me this, is to get a wire hanger and a dixi cup. Straighten the wire hanger and make a circle on one end small enough for the dixi cup to sit into without falling out. Then take Addie out on a leash. When she squats to go pee quickly put the cup under her. Worked for me. :yes:

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I had a diabetic dog at one time, so I was testing his urine daily. I used a soup ladle.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    She definitely needs to be seen by the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I second what the others have said--best to rule out a UTI. But to put your mind at ease in case it comes back clear, about 2 months ago Bentley wet the bed. No other incidents, no issues. We think he just must have dreamt he was outside!

You can probably find my thread on it if you search--a few people said it had happened to their dogs too.

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008

The easiest method I've found, especially for girls, is to use an old (or new but be sure you label it, LOL) soup spoon -- one of the big ones that you serve with. It's easy to slip it under her while she's going and catch some.

Good luck!