Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

"Mom, I Want to Go Home!!"

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Chris, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Poor Colonel Underpants! We went to a Rally competition, and he just froze. We made it through the course, but he stumbled on things he does with ease in class. We were competing at our home training center, so the space was familiar -- but he was so stressed! He used to love being in the ring, but since his return from his illness, competition brings on anxiety. He got one leg toward his Excellent title a few months back, but with the two succeeding trials, he was increasingly unhappy. I'd already decided that we'd only trial at our home facility, but even that isn't fun for him. And if Beckon isn't having fun, neither am I.

I told him he never has to go to a trial again. We'll keep on attending class -- which he loves because it's our "special thing" we do to bond. When we left the building, he was prancing. I took him on a long walk through our local nature conservancy, and he was so happy. He understood, I'm certain, what I told him, and is so grateful!

Attached Files:

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Sounds like you made the right choice for him. He's such a cutie.

3. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Poor Colonel Underpants. I was going to ask if you guys were going to be at the PVSSC show in February but if he's getting stressed out, it's not worth it. Olive was like that at HoCo fair grounds, we're not going back if we can help it.

4. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    How old is he? Any chance this could be the second fear stage you can see at age 15 months?

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    He is a lucky boy to have a Mom who "listens" and does what is happiest for him.

Trini

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I might go to watch, though!!!

7. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    We're going to there Saturday and Sunday for Olive's last BN leg and hopefully something towards CD. She's almost ready for Advanced too but I think that would overload her.

BTW when we were at Catoctin for a trial last? month we crated near some folks from the club. They were very nice :)

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Aw, Colonel Underpants. Sorry you had a rough day, but glad that you're going to give competition a break. Sounds like that's what you want for now.

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie here:
    Poor, poor Colonel Underpants - sorry, you had a bad experience, I really understand you wanted to go home.

Luckily my mom says, if I just do my best, then it's good enough for her - so I do not go to any competitions :biggrin2:

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    No -- he's six.