Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Annual Three Rivers Sheltie Specialty

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Silaria, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    This past weekend was the Three Rivers Shetland Sheepdog Club of Greater Pittsburgh's (TRSSCGP) annual specialty show. Edan and I traditionally enter Rally at this show and for the past few years have started to slowly enter the Obedience ring.

Starting with (all-breed) Rally, we successfully earned two more RAE legs (Rally Advanced Excellent) bringing him to a total of 5 out of 10 RAE legs. It was amusing because one of ladies I was competing against, another Sheltie owner and friend, and I swapped 1st place finishes between Saturday and Sunday. Because it was an all-breed rally and Sheltie specialty two placements were available for Shelties.

On Saturday Edan scored a 90 in Rally Excellent B with 2nd place Sheltie/no placement in all-breed and a 98 in Advanced B with a 2nd place Sheltie/3rd place all-breed. When I saw my 98 in Advanced I joked that Geo (the other Sheltie) would get a 100. His owner heard me and, sure enough, they scored a 100. She laughed and said I could make that call any time. :lol:

On Sunday Edan scored a 99 in Rally Excellent B with a 1st place Sheltie/2nd place all-breed by time (tie breaker) and 100 in Advanced B with a 1st place in Sheltie and all-breed. Poor Geo was off his game on Sunday, which is usually the only way I can score better than him in Rally. Everyone had a good laugh about the two of us swapping places between Saturday and Sunday, including the judge.

Before rally on both days I had my first foray into the Novice Obedience ring. Let me preface this with I knew we weren't 100%, even 95%, ready when I entered but I wanted to get in the ring and see how we would do under a judge, in a different location, with different dogs. It was our Specialty show and I tend to debut Edan in new things there so I went for it.

I did learn our off-leash healing needs serious work when treats are not involved. (If I have treats on me he heels like a champ.) I also really need to keep working on my heeling footwork and how to maintain contact with Edan without pushing him behind me so he stays confident. Our fronts also need work because they are hit and miss and right on that edge of too far away. Our judge (Ted Walshesky) was GREAT! He's tough, don't get me wrong, but very fair. He also really cares about the Novice handlers showing in his ring and will do what he can to make them comfortable, especially the Novice A handlers. His demeanor and willingness to lightly joke with the handlers while setting up for the first exercise helped put me at ease.

On Saturday Edan was a bit laggy during on leash healing and figure eights. For off-leash heal, he ended up on the wrong side of me during the about turn. His stand for exam was perfect. His recall was close enough to count but really should be closer and more centered on me. His long sit and down were perfect. We ended up with a 183 and a Q and 1st place in Shelite and all-breed. (We were the only Novice A dog.)

Sunday was more of the same but his recall ended up too far away, automatic NQ. Ted told me he really wanted to give it to me but it was just to far to be considered 'within reach'. I still returned for the long sit and down because it's good practice for him. (As I said, different venue, dogs, noises, etc. If I have the opportunity to practice, why not.) I did talk to Ted at the end of the day and he suggested yet another way to try to train the come front to get it closer. (Putting a bar on the floor he has to cross and sit between me and the bar.) I've tried many other techniques and they aren't clicking. Maybe this one will.

So great weekend in the Rally ring, 50% in the Novice ring. You know what, I'll take it, especially since we really weren't as ready for the Novice ring as I would have liked. What it did do, though, was help me relax a bit with it since I now have some experience AND really showed me where we need to work.

I always tell my students this is about the journey with your dog and not the destination. Obedience is definitely a more challenging journey for Edan and I but we'll get there and have fun doing it.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sounds like you and Edan had a great weekend- congrats:yes:

Dixie's indoor heeling sucks but it's pretty good in outdoor venues..........

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Thanks! It's a work in progress but we'll get there. I need to build Edan's confidence for the off leash healing section of Novice. We do OK in Rally because I can talk to him. I just need to find another way to reassure him without words.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    That's how I taught Birch fronts. He did not get them at all. Agility dog you know you never run directly to the handler. The bar, actual a U box helped give a visual for him. It was a miracle. He was like OMG that's what you want!

Congrats on you first time in the Novice ring and your fist Q. Birch and I are going to give it a go soon. Hopefully . :smile2: Birch obedience journey Ida more difficult too

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ember never liked Rally. She hated talking :lol: You could hear her thinking please, shut up. I am trying to work here. :smile2:

6. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Congrats! Your novice run were a lot better than mine :biggrin2:

Something we learned this fall and has worked fairly well to straighten out Olive' front was to stick a piece of food between my knees (right above her head) before the recall so she is instantly rewarded for coming front and center. It's mostly eliminated the self-finish she used to do. In fact on Saturday she stuck her nose there in the ring because she was sure there was something for her.

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    it's all about the journey! if the destination is your goal, it is sort of a let down when you have the title, the ribbons, and you don't have the stories (both fun and humiliating) of how you got there.

Congratulations! The best is yet to come!

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    This is it exactly! I just reminded my students (in another dog sport) of this yesterday. You also can't compare yourself to others (something I'm struggling with in agility) because it's YOUR journey with YOUR dog and it's not going to be the same as anyone else.

Have fun with your dog. If you aren't having fun your dog's not having fun and it's time to look for something else.

9. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Heck you cant even compare your own dogs. I did that with Ember who has the misfortune of following one of the easiest to train sheltie ever Justice. Justice got everything so quickly regardless of what it was. He generalized like no dog I have ever met and was simpler brilliant. Ember is a very linear thinking dog and very literal. She drove me crazy and frustrated the hell out of me. Once I stopped comparing her to Justice and trying to slam a square peg in a round hole we finally started getting somewhere. Everyone of my dogs has been different and a different challenge.

I must admit that I have guard myself against comparing Celtics progress in agility to Enzo and Envy. He is very talented but just not a far along. Then I remember his road is different and it's ok.