Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Desensitizing for car sickness

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Altasmom, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Altasmom

Altasmom Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Alta has been car sick since the day we brought her home, she is now 3.5 months old and she still can't take anything longer than a 5 min car ride without vomiting! The vet wants to see if she'll out grow it before suggesting meds and I agree. We have a thundershirt for her but I know it's too big and not working (she currently weighs 7 pounds and I purchased the 8-14 pound size, hopefully she'll grow into it within the next few weeks.)
    We have been working on desensitizing her fear of the car, as per the threads I have read on here, we have spent 6 weeks building up to a 4-5 min drive around the block, she drools like crazy but no vomitting. We have this routine of her walking around the car, slowly getting in the car, being fed treats in the car (only recently accepted treats,) playing with her favourite toys in the car, doing tricks in the car (sit, paw etc) driving up and down the driveway and maybe after 20-30 min we can finally drive around the block but only if she is somewhat relaxed and not shaking like a leaf or trying to frantically climb all over her human. If we drive down a "new" street she starts to panic and whine until we're back to familiar (to her) surroundings. We also drive 2 min to a park and kick a ball around to show her a car ride leads to fun things.
    We have tried wire crate vs airline crate, front seat vs back seat, snuggling with a human vs in her crate. Her looking out of the window vs her crate being covered in a blanket, we've tried ginger cookies, tried not feeding her within 4 hours of a necessary car trip (vet.)
    I had visions of travelling everywhere in the car with my puppy, I realize I need to be patient and take baby steps with Alta.
    I'm afraid this week is going to set her back in her training, she has puppy class (35min away) and vet visit (15min away) this week. We have worked so hard just to get this far in 6 weeks.
    Any suggestions out there to try and minimize her anxiety? Please tell me she will out grow this or at least get used to car rides.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. Many car sick pups don't get past it until about a year old...so don't give up hope. In all my years of owning multiple shelties I only had one who stayed car sick all her life...that is not the norm. Just keep up what you are doing and I bet Alta will end up fine.

Trini

3. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    I think what you are doing sounds spot on. Simba was car sick until he was about 6 months old but he eventually got over it. He used to hate the car but once we started going to agility training and he fell in love with it he started to love the car. I would definitely give it another couple of months before you decide to start her on medication.

4. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    I wanted Chip to like riding in my truck so bad. He is two years young now. He likes to ride and doesn't get sick as he did for most of the first year if we didn't watch close. The drooling was predecessor.

We tried to be sure we didn't feed him within several hours of a ride. Vet gave us two pills when we needed to go on a four hour trip, he done great, we never had to administer any pills after that ride.

Chip's problem to this day? He doesn't like to be picked up. He isn't a jumper so he doesn't get up into a vehicle on his own. To this day he will stay back away from us when we say ride. After he is in the front seat between mama and I, all is well.

Try putting Alta on the seat without moving the vehicle. Just sit with her, love on her, take it easy on the treats. We could hear Chip's stomach growl and up it came.

5. Altasmom

Altasmom Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks, I think I will try slowing down the actual getting in the car process, as she does put the breaks on as soon as its time to pick her up and put her in the car (she's too tiny to climb in the car by herself.) And then keep my fingers crossed and hope she out grows this. But it is reassuring to know I'm doing the right thing and others have gone through this with their young puppies.

6. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it's any consolation... my mother has a dog who is twelve years old and still chucks her food any time she has to ride in the car. (We have to remember not to feed her before a trip.) The good news is that the little dog doesn't seem to be anxious about driving... she just gets sick.

So, yes, most of them grow out of it, but some never do, and it's not the end of the world.

7. Liza0714

Liza0714 Forums Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    I give my one pup, who has a tendency to barf in the car a couple of jelly beans before we get in the car and then a few more once she jumps in. They seem to settle her stomach. Just make sure they aren't sugar free.

8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    My 1st sheltie never really got over car sickness, and we traveled extensively with her. We just learned to be prepared and not make it a big deal.

My 2nd would have issues on longer trips, until I learned about lavender oil spray. It has a calming effect...that worked wonders for her. I would spray it on her blankie in her crate and she would bury her nose in it and it helped.

When I brought Kaleigh & Savannah home I sprayed it on the blankies I brought that the breeder rubbed on their moms. So they had mommy scent and lavender scent on their blankies. Savannah would upchuck if I forgot to spray, up until she was a yr old. It also was the vehicle. I drive a Jeep and Mini...the Mini was worse, and I think it is because they can't really see out like they can in the Jeep. As I child I had to be up front and by a window or I suffered from motion sickness. I could control it somewhat if I could see out.

9. MaraAraLara

MaraAraLara Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2015
    Ireland
    I was so lucky with Rupert, he was fine with traveling from day one- just sits in his seat and off we go or he lies down and has a nap. He did not like being in a crate though, he accepted it, but was not happy about it, so I stopped using it. One thing that can help is to make sure the dog is facing forwards, not out the side windows. Also do you have the window down a little to have fresh air coming in and interesting smells for them to focus on? If your dog is getting ill due to stress you can try and break the stress connection with a few tips such as being aware of your own feelings as you prepare to travel ie. are you feeling anxious, nervous, excited prepping for travel? They can pick up on that. Try and avoid car trips for a couple of weeks if possible to see if it helps reduce stress connections. Have you tried using someone elses car? Maybe if you have a buddy with a vehicle and a dog of their own you could try a short trip to the park all of you together (as long as they are ok with knowing there may be an illness issue). Wish you the best of luck with this. Keep us updated on your progress. :hugs

10. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Sansa seems to throw up 5% of the time, and drool like crazy most of the other times. I haven't read up on any of the other threads on here about it but she's not afraid to jump in the car on her own and she does seem to drool less each time. (today, no drool at all but we'll see if that lasts) I will say that she hasn't once thrown up since I stopped feeding her a regular meal before jumping in the car, maybe 25% of what she normally gets....and getting the rest of the meal when you arrive seems like a reward, which is never bad.