Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Grooming
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:39 PM

Default When does a sheltie's coat "grow out"?

Figured this was the best topic to ask this:

Jake the Dog is almost 14 months old and his coat has not grown long. He's a little chesty now, but I kind of expected the traditional sheltie look in the 12 to 18 month range. He's not there yet, though.

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:46 PM

From what I have learned here and read,it depends alot on lineage of the dog. I have noticed that also in many pictures that folks post.How some pups look fluffier & fuller than others.And are the same age as our two here.

I am sure it is a genetic thing.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAnimator View Post
Figured this was the best topic to ask this:

Jake the Dog is almost 14 months old and his coat has not grown long. He's a little chesty now, but I kind of expected the traditional sheltie look in the 12 to 18 month range. He's not there yet, though.

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator
More like the 2-3 year range. It takes them a while to get their full coat. Sadie will be 3 this summer and I've only just noticed that her coat is starting to thicken up.

My parent's sheltie has a very full coat but his didn't fully come in till he was three.

Ginny on the other hand is much fluffier than either Sadie or Milo was at 8 months old. I don't think it will take her as long.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:20 PM

The full Sheltie coat is their adult coat, so it shouldn't come in until about age three. That was the case with our late Sheltie, a sable and white.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:30 PM

Edan didn't get his full coat until about 2.5; that's normal for my breeders dogs.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby0617 View Post
The full Sheltie coat is their adult coat, so it shouldn't come in until about age three. That was the case with our late Sheltie, a sable and white.
tap tap tap
still waiting... for thick, full coat, lol
Toffee will be 2 in July.... you giving me hope, LOL
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:54 PM

what is his lineage? Can you post a copy of his pedegree? That might help some of us give you a hint as to when to expect it.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:25 AM

My sheltie is 2yrs & coming 2mths old. He has been losing nearly 65% of his undercoat although he still have a nice glossy & flowy outer coat esp at his chest & leg's feathering! His sire is a canadian sheltie while his mum is a local.
He has completed 6mths supplies of salmon fish oil & omega oil supplements. But have not seen much improvements? Although as mentioned above, it might take 3yrs to get the full coat... my male sheltie is losing his inner coat each day! I've to brush him every alt day to keep the coat flying everywhere!
Can anyone advise?
Old May 11, 2010, 11:45 AM

Coat is also dependent on climate. Both my shelties look like fluff balls atm because we are heading into freezinf temps and they do spend time outside in the cold. Desexed dogs tend to have 2 sheds - the big spring shed to prepare for summer and then getting rid of the summer coat for winter. i have to brush my male every day in spring to help get the undercoat out. This winter started, then got warmer, then colder - so he grew a winter coat, shed it and grew it again.

The supplements will help the quality of their coats but not necessarily help with making the coat longer or help with shedding.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfugon View Post
My sheltie is 2yrs & coming 2mths old. He has been losing nearly 65% of his undercoat although he still have a nice glossy & flowy outer coat esp at his chest & leg's feathering! His sire is a canadian sheltie while his mum is a local.
He has completed 6mths supplies of salmon fish oil & omega oil supplements. But have not seen much improvements? Although as mentioned above, it might take 3yrs to get the full coat... my male sheltie is losing his inner coat each day! I've to brush him every alt day to keep the coat flying everywhere!
Can anyone advise?
It just sounds like he's blowing his coat, which is normal.

Shelties blow coat once or twice yearly, usually in the spring/fall. Since your pup is getting older and getting more coat, he's going to shed more of his undercoat than he did the previous year.

Its not abnormal and there is nothing you can do about it except brush more often to remove the loose fur.

If he has bald spots, then that would be something to be concerned about.

It may take another year for his coat to get fuller. My parent's sheltie had hardly any undercoat till he was 3. Now he has a beautiful, thick coat.

http://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioS...05357920086194
http://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioS...94547487401970

Last edited by OntarioSheltie; May 11, 2010 at 03:03 PM.