Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie lifespan

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Justicemom, May 28, 2010.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    A question occured to my mind as I was reading all the birthday posts. What are you experienced Shelties people seeing for lifespans?

Not to be morbid, and generally not a topic I like talking about because our dogs should live forever. But in private practice, Shelties tend to do pretty well compared to similar sized breeds where 12yrs is avg. The shelties I've seen about 14yrs(all types of owners)

I just realized that Justice's mom turns 12yrs in a month and that the entire litter(of 4)is still alive and doing great. His great grandpa(Ember and Diva's great great grandpa) lived to 17.5yrs(passed from heart disease-sudden), his grandma to 16yrs(passed of kidney disease) and his grandpa is still alive at 15yrs doing great but deaf. I hope my dogs do as well.:smile2: J turns 8 next month so I realized he is offically a senior according to all registries for performance events.:(

Isabella likes this.
  2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Bailey promised me 25 years! I know Bailey has a great-grandma, who is currently 15 years old. Many of her relatives lived to 13-15 years.

My first sheltie was only 8 years old. She was from a pet store :cry:

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Hamish was 11 when he died but he had suffered from pancreaitits for 3+ years. Noah was nine but he had not been well for the entire summer last year. Not sure what their parents etc. ages were.

Emma's has a long line of dogs living to 14 or more years, provided they are in good health. Her grandmother is still going strong at 10 years. The breeder just lost two of Emma great-aunts at 12 this spring due to illness. The breeder doesn't have the information on her website now about some of the dogs'age but she did have.

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd like to know too.

Interesting thread!

Milo was my family's first sheltie and he is eight and doing very well. Sadie and Ginny are both still young..

I've heard mixed things about shelties, regarding life span.

I've had a number of people tell me that they're very short lived. Just last weekend when we were searching for plants with Sadie and Ginny a couple approached us and told us that their sheltie passed away a year ago of cancer at the age of six (I don't remember what type of cancer). That is not the first time I've heard of shelties dying young.

At the same time, I've had people approach us and comment about how long lived shelties are. I've heard of them living to be 17 before.

So which is it? Long life or short?

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I've always heard that average Sheltie lifespan is 15. But every single one of ours, with the exception of Ivy who died at 10 last year from bladder cancer, passed at age 13. It's almost spooky. I guess 13 isn't bad, but it's always too soon as we know.

6. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My first sheltie, Samantha, was 13 when she passed (kidney failure). My Katie is now 13 (3/24) and going strong - a happy and healthy girl. I told my vet I am going to have the first 30 year old sheltie!!
    A friend of mine had a beautiful merle sheltie who made it to 18.
    I think the oldest sheltie on record was 20.
    I wish they had long lifespans (20+) too, but then again, for us rescue sheltie owners, it gives more of them a chance to find loving homes.
    My Laddie is 4 - I hope he goes well into his "teens" too!

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Interesting question! I've also read somewhere that the average is 15. My first sheltie lived to be 15 and she was hyperthryoid and had vWD.

8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My first sheltie, Blossom, was 14 years old when she passed from a brain tumor.

My second Sheltie, Poppy, passed when she was 13.

Chloe's dad, Bravo, is over 17 years old. So...I am hoping for at least that with my Clo-bear.

9. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    My other Sheltie, Abigail, was 13 when she passed. Buffy's family seems to live to around 13 or 14.

10. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    It has always intrigued me that Rudyard Kipling's famous lines-

'When the fourteen years which nature permits are closing in asthma, or tumors, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs to lethal chambers and loaded guns,
    It's up to you, it's your own affair...
    But you've given your heart to a dog to tear'

was written what, about 1890?
    And for all our advances in nutrition, preventative medicine etc., it's STILL about 14 years for an average sized dog.
    Just thinking empirically, I would have to guess that my Sheltie patients tend to age better than most until about 11, then tend to fall off and 'not age well' a little more than most their size.

Skye is now 9 ( I can NOT believe that - but then I can't believe that I am... well, whatever), and I have full expectations that she is just 'starting on the back nine.' :wink2: - Dr. Mac