Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A problem has raised it's ugly head

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by MissyGallant, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    So, this was 3 years ago.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/i-am-furious.20374/page-2

This post is about a vet tech who treated my poor elderly Bonnie very badly and gave her a bloody nose. I switched to a vet that I dearly love. I mean- this is a GREAT vet. He is good. They are all gentle. The vet doesn't do unnecessary treatments. He offers holistic as well as traditional treatments.

I had another litter of puppies and took them in for their shots last week. There was an emergency and a rather long wait. I don't mind- I understand emergencies and my vet has worked me in when there was an emergency before. There is also a new tech who is there temporarily while my vet hires for a couple of positions. PROBLEM? My husband thinks it is the same tech as the above link. I honestly do not remember.

I do know that they had this guy acting as receptionist. He reprimanded us for being early (as in 2 minutes early.) He disclosed personal information about the emergency. He told us, No, I don't want to look at the puppies. He picked up the carrier with the puppies and moved it without asking saying a really mean dog that hates other animals is coming through next. Then let that dog go through WITHOUT a leash. He spent quite a bit of time (like at least 15 minutes) complaining to us that he has to write names on the board and it's going to take a really long time. The markers don't work well. He likes drawing and art, but uses pencils, not stupid markers. He doesn't like being the receptionist, he wants to be in back actually helping.

I know that I need to let the vet know about all of this, but am not sure if I should 1) call and try to talk. 2) fill it all out on the survey they sent. 3) wait until I'm there with Cooper on Thursday and talk in person.

What would you do? And if it is the same tech as the Bonnie incident- I don't EVER want that guy near my dogs.

2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I tend to prefer the personal approach. I would explain the circumstances of your interaction with the Vet tech previously and why that caused you to leave your previous Vet. Clearly you have enough vets in your area to have options so keeping clients is a priority for the local Vets. If people don't tell them there is a problem with the staff, they can't be expected to know. If he is being rude at the front desk and isn't gentle with dogs this will hurt the Vet's practice. Perhaps animal care just isn't this person's calling and needs to find a new career track.

corbinam likes this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree--I think an in person conversation is better. They will know you're genuinely trying to help (them and yourself). My husband is a dentist and I know he would want to know if one of his receptionists or techs was acting this way.

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Just got off the phone with my vet. He was extremely apologetic. He thanked me for letting him know. And he thanked me for waiting so patiently last week- again. He thanked us for that at the last visit and gave us a discount too. I feel much more comfortable now.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Thursday and start the conversation as positive as possible. "I really love it here and left a previous vet because of issues with the personal, none of which I have here" then mention that while you are not positive the new guy is or reminds you of someone that was not good for your pup. My bet is the vet gets rid of him. People like that can be a cancer on the attitudes of the good staff also. But again, positive, no ultimatums and avoid direct criticism. If the vet is worth much they are listening and will go and check once you are gone with other employees/customers etc. If not well time to go. The guys used to go to a groomer. I liked her and her attitude but the attitude was seriously declining then she started pushing shaving Spitfire's chest and belly. Not been back since.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow, if you repeated all the things that loser discussed with you to the vet I bet he was LIVID. The front receptionist is the first rep of the practice and comes in contact with everyone. So glad you didn't let it slide. My jaw dropped reading your post, since I am a nurse I couldn't believe he'd breach patient confidentiality like that... wow.

I bet that guy is is going, going, gone!