Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

AKC vs WRCL Rally

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Pam, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    First--thanks everyone, this is the BEST site.
    OK, so listening to everyone's great advice I have decided to try adn train Beau from videos, at least to learn Rally some, until I find a better class. So both WRCL and AKC have signs and videos. What is the difference between the two and which is better to start?

Thanks.

Hanne likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good on you Pam for deciding to work with Beau on your own, a bad instructor can set you and your dog back. I don't know the difference between the two (I've never heard of WRCL) but I do know that doing Rally on your own isn't hard...it's just a matter of practicing the signs and understanding the rules. I've taken classes with my obedience instructor but it was just a matter of doing practice runs over and over and then I'd practice the signs with Piper several times/ day (I'd practice them alone first until I knew what I was supposed to do). If you've got the basics of obedience down then doing Rally on your own is super easy! A quick tip...if you can print out the signs and then laminate them you can then create your own courses and have lots of practice runs. Good luck!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have only done AKC rally so I can't help you with comparing the two....
    you can buy page protectors instead of laminating- just depends on how much money you want to put into it.......

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Luckily, since I am a Speech Pathologist and laminate lots and lots of PECs, I have a laminator at home and a package of sheets :) My question: is there a link to a file that has the AKC signs, or do I have to try and get them off the videos?
    This is the only link I could find and it only has videos https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanKennelClub/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=23&sort=dd

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Pam likes this.
  6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Wow 115 signs. Sigh. I really really have my work cut out for me. :)

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    me too- we were still working on the old excellent signs and now we have all the new ones to learn too.
    but it went well this weekend- check out our new post.....

8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I don't know if I can remember 115 signs! My head is spinning. I have to take some ASL classes for my work as I knew only basic ASL stuff. So I am learning, learning, learning. Let's just hope the old synapses hold up. :) But I think Beau will enjoy Rally.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Remember them all- I doubt that I could:winkgrin:
    I had printed the mini signs with descriptions from the AKC website- asked the judge if I could have it with me during the walkthrough....
    I had already looked some signs up from looking at the map... I'm always looking them up....
    and just because we know what the sign is - doesn't mean that we can do it:gaah

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    There's also an app called Pocket Rally which has all the signs, descriptions, and videos demonstrating the signs.