Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Allowing your Sheltie to sleep in your bed?

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by Sbera, Jun 17, 2014.

1. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Previous shelties were always crated at night - but Hanna sleeps on our king sized bed, at the foot, most nights. Sometimes she prefers the cool tile floor in the bathroom. It's her choice.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

It's a personal choice. I like it My partner does not, though he is happy to do morning cuddles. So Indy and Bacca learned to stay off the bed when he was there.

Callan.....too young yet......no way will that chewing machine be invited to sleep with me yet!

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    A couple of years ago I read an interesting article by a vet behaviourist where he stated he would see less dog behavioural problems if more people let their dogs sleep on their bed! It was an enlightening (and somewhat tongue in cheek) hypothesis.

My pets choose where they sleep. Deska prefers to sleep next to the bed but will get on the bed in the morning. Tully sleeps on the bed. One cat sleeps in an igloo on the bed and the other on the couch. So far none of my pets have tried to take over the world because they sleep on my bed! :wink2:

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'm going to guess that the rest of you are pretty much like me, I couldn't a good nights sleep if my baby WASN'T in my bed. My Angel Bambi slept with me the last 7 years of her life. I didn't want to take a chance of her breaking a leg jumping up or down from the bed so I had her her own set of steps made, (carpeted no less!! LOL). Took about 2 trys for her to realize this was a pretty good deal. She "traveled" all night, when bed got to hot, she hit the tiled bathroom floor, or up on my chest because that was where the air conditioning flow landed. Being such divas, they must have the best spot in the house and we all know, they WILL find the best spot and claim it for themselves! Don't you just love them? :lol:

5. Mindlessbear

Mindlessbear Forums Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Illinois
    I have not let dogs sleep with me since I was a kid. I'm a restless sleeper, and I find if a dog is sleeping in bed with me I tend to not turn over, and get "stuck" in one position. My cat that does sleep with me will wake up when I turn over, wait until get settled, then resnuggle into me. Also, my husband wears a cpap, and I think that could be a tempting item for a dog. All of that could change when Phantom gets older, of course.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I also bought an ottoman to put next to my bed to enable Indy to Get up on his on his own. The things we do!

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    haha amen to that!

I love snuggle time, why would I have dogs and cats if I didn't want to have them with me as much as possible? :winkgrin::eek:

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I had the ottoman first, but Missy uses it as a step to get on the bed all the time. She can jump all the way up from the floor too, but using the ottoman is so much easier!

9. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    All of ours have slept with us. When Maggie started sleeping with us at around 7 months, she never got off the bed. When we was in failing health we decided it was safer for her on the floor. We were so afraid she would roll of the bed. For a while we had a rolled up bedspread at the foot of the bed. We finally put in in an x-pen for her saftey. It was so hard to have her not with us.
    Zak has his bed, but starts out with us then sleeps in his bed, by his bed or in the bathroom. Zoey is still in her crate but want's so badly to be with us, soon little girl. She puts up a fuss around 6:00 and we let her out and she smothers us with kisses then lays down. We do have king size bed and when we had Maggie and Zak up there it made is to much easier to sleep.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie uses to sleep in bed with us and I loved it, but she did on occasion fall out of bed and when she got older actually injured herself. So once she couldn't get on the bed anymore we didn't let her.

Shelby does not sleep in bed with us (unless I move to the other bedroom b/c of DH snoring, then she sleeps in bed with me). She really does not like to be crowded or hot. Her usual spot is on the cool bathroom floor.