Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

An older puppy???

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Number 3, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Number 3

Number 3 Forums Regular

Feb 5, 2015
    Australia
    We have the opportunity to buy and older pup...19 weeks old.

Any negatives about getting an older pup? We have 2 shelties now 18 month old and 9 month old.

Apparently the 19 week old has been socialized and been to shows etc.

Any thoughts please??? Thanks

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    My three Shelties came home at 8 months, 3 years, and 4 months (roughly the age of the pup you are looking at) respectively. I didn't have any issues bringing any of these older pups home. The best thing you can do with this, or any puppy, is to get him into a puppy socialization and/or behavior class. This will help start to build the bond between you.

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    I'd go for it! At four + months he is still very young. An added bonus is that shelties have a more mature bladder at 6 months so potty training should be shorter.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I think when they are a little older they settle in much better. I don't think I'll bring another pet home at 8 weeks again unless I really had to. They just have that little bit of extra confidence and have experienced a lot more. They've learnt more from their litter mates and the other dogs around - whereas when we bring them home at 8 weeks they become isolated with just you (seeing as they can't take them out far until their shots are finalised). All the shots should be up to date by 19weeks so you can get out and about straight away and the toilet training isn't as hard.

5. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Bailey came to us from rescue at about 4 months and it was a great experience.

6. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Your name says it all. Number 3. You know that you really want to. ;) Join us. Welcome to the "More than just 2" club.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Mind you, I did just notice the age of your other pups. Keep in mind that dogs get more expensive as they get older. Because of the closeness in age you would be dealing with 3 dogs with arthritis and other aging issues and all the costs associated with that. And they'd all be passing on around the same time. It's hard managing 2 dogs with arthritis, I can't imagine having 3 elderly dogs.

8. Cubby2014

Cubby2014 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2016
    Central California
    I actually kind of prefer them around the same age. I had male/female Aussie that aged together and when we lost her we brought in an older male. It was hard losing two in one year, but they matched well in activity with ages. Now I have an older sheltie probably 9+ years, a 5 year old shepherd (who has hip dysplasia), and a 2 year old Cubby. The young active boy is a little hard on my older two. On the other hand, 3 Cubbies might be a bit chaotic. Just be sure each dog has time out alone (training, bonding, etc.) as well as pack time. The nice thing about 3 is if you take 1 out you have two at home keeping each other company and not someone all alone and unhappy about it.

9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    This is just a possibility- not a certainty. Bonnie never got arthritis. She was 17 and had other issues (deafness and blindness). Casey was also fine until the day he passed. You just can't really tell what is going to happen when. Personally, I wouldn't let what might happen age wise stop me. But I know I'm different.

10. Number 3

Number 3 Forums Regular

Feb 5, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks everyone. We went ahead and bought her. She is arriving on Tuesday. There are so many things to think about, so many unknowns. I wasn't sure, but now we are very excited.

Cara Sandler likes this.