Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bad news from vet yesterday about our Stabler

Discussion in 'General Health' started by magnoliamg, Oct 27, 2017.

1. magnoliamg

magnoliamg Forums Regular

Aug 31, 2017
    Stabler is 3 months old and went for shots and to get his chip yesterday. The vet was checking him out and said that one testicle has not dropped yet. I've gone back to the breeder and she stated that the sire and other puppies from that sire has not had issues.

The vet said we would wait until he is 6 months old to see if it dropped but she knows that my plan was to use him for breeding. She is saying that he should not be used and should be neutered if it doesn't drop naturally.

Does anyone have advice for me? My 3 kids really wanted each a puppy from my two dogs. I wasn't planning on breeding them for 2 years yet.

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is good to hear that this "bad news" isn't anything life-threatening.

Now: your breeder is correct, this is not a dog that should be bred. There is a strong genetic component in retained testicles, and it's becoming a problem in the breed. Reproducing dogs that have retained testicles is the best way to ensure that it continues to be a problem.

Did the breeder give you a written guarantee that this puppy would be breeding quality? If not, then there's really not anything you can do; puppies aren't "made to order" and even if the breeder knew you wanted to breed this dog eventually, things happen.

My advice (since you asked) is to follow the advice of your vet: wait three months, and if it hasn't dropped, then neuter him.

If you do want to get into breeding dogs, you need to start with the best quality dogs you can get.

3. magnoliamg

magnoliamg Forums Regular

Aug 31, 2017
    I totally agree with you and the vet. I wouldn't want to pass this down to other generations. I did not get a written contract or health guarantee... lesson learned on that one! He is and will continue to be a great family pet. This does not change the way I feel about him at all. I had completed extensive research on both of the puppies and their lines before I decided on him. Guess this is just a bump in the road. When I get ready for puppies, I will need to find a stud. It is really difficult to find Shelties in Louisiana.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    aren't you in Kenner?
    are you a member of the New Orleans Sheltie Club? I'm sure that those club members could point you to shelties in the nearby area....................

5. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Huh, that's surprising to me - there are two ASSA member clubs in Louisiana, plus one in greater Houston.

Here's a map with links and contact info. There are a number of significant Sheltie breeders on the Gulf Coast. They may not be around the corner from you, but they're out there.