Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baron fitting in...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am just so pleased with Baron's progress! He is doing really well on walks around the local area. We will be starting his new beginner obedience class in a couple of weeks. When we go for a walk and someone else is on the sidewalk I move to the nearest driveway and have him sit quietly by my side and let the person pass. Sometimes it might be a family with a child in a stroller! He sits calmly! Before he would have been so frightened by anyone or anything he had not encountered before. I think he is understanding that he can trust me to protect him! Sometimes the people with the baby in a stroller will stop and say to the child... look at the doggie!

I am right next to an elementary school and when the kids go outside to play I take Baron and just sit on the front porch to let him hear and see them from a distance. I think he would be overwhelmed if he was right by the fence seeing them dart about the playground. But, if I try at a distance he seems interested to watch. The attached picture shows how interested he is! I am so proud of him. Especially since he was not brought up with them. Baron Porch.JPG

JacqueZ, Phoebe'smom, Ann and 4 others like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We're all proud of your progress, Beautiful Baron!!!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Congratulations Gloria and Baron! It's such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you start to see the effect of all the time and effort paying off! I think your right in that Baron trusts you to protect him, I believe it takes a big weight off the dog when they understand that it's your job to protect them and not the other way around....makes for a very happy well adjusted dog. Love the picture of Baron, he looks like a very proud and happy boy!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Gloria - I could not say it better than Piper's mom :wink2:

ghggp likes this.
  5. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Both of you are doing a wonderful job! Yay Baron!!!!

ghggp likes this.
  6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    What a good boy! He is so lucky to have you and your patience with him.

ghggp likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, it has been a bit of a challenge as I need to go slow! Mr. Chance was so friendly and loved to me everyone! He never met a stranger. Baron is so timid.
    However, you can see his confidence building slowly.
    We will go slow to give him time to adjust! After all, it's only been 4 months that he has been with us!

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    It does take lots of patience and work when Shelties have not been exposed to much. Our Ally was scared of going through doorways, for instance. You are obviously doing great with Baron by taking time to let him get used to new things. I really enjoy hearing about his progress!

ghggp likes this.