Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baron's Advanced Beginners & CGC Class... Second class.

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Baron was an absolute star ⭐️ in class today!!!

Today was the first time we had to do out of sight. The trainer holds him while I leave the room.

He did not cry, whine or make a fuss. Just sat patiently for my return!
    I dreaded this exercise as I did not know how he would react. I was so proud of him.

He also did fabulous at the greeting and letting the trainer touch his foot and ears and brush him! He looked concerned but sat by my side without protest. When I first got him he would not let a stranger touch him!

The only issue I had was a long line for the 10 ft recall. Baron is not used to it and he made a really wide return away from the long line on the ground. This could be a problem to get him to come straight to me. He was doing so well training at home as I use dowels on the ground about 3ft apart to give him a tunnel to come straight. He also is a little hesitant... head down... not looking secure in the recall quite yet. At home, he does it perfectly!

He has come a long way! It helps that there are only three dogs in the class and they are all non-reactive!
    Great trainer too!

Hanne likes this.
  2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    hey, that went great!!!! So happy for you and Baron! That long line could have been a snake ya know, and snapped at his gentle little self! Take the long line off, he will come flying into a straight front! :)

Congratulations, CGC title?

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Never thought about that... SNAKE!!! ... snapped at his gentle little self! :yes:

They would NOT allow me to take the long line off! VERY DISAPPOINTED about that... maybe it has to do with liability?

Nope... no title yet... this is only the second class... on the sixth class, they will do the test!

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the long line is part of the CGC test so might as well get used to it in practice

5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    WOW! I had NO IDEA they made that part of the test!

Will get a long line and do training with it from now on...

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- both the sit or down and walk away/return is on a long line and the recall is also on a long line.
    It is probably a liability issue as you mentioned earlier as many CGC tests are given at public outdoor events. were something to happen, the line could be grabbed.

7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good to know!

I got the CGC on Kelsey, Laddie, and Mr Chance.

Don't remember ever using the long line for the exam!

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we did our first CGC test in 2007 and it was used then..............

9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, we had class three today and I am just so pleased with how well Baron did! LOVE the trainer and the other two dogs and handlers!

He still hates the recall with the long line! We practiced and practiced this week. He used to have perfect straight fronts. Now he makes a super wide arch before he sits in front of me. Needless to say, it is not straight at all. He did great on the figure 8! Mom did bad on the first pass! I forgot to take three small steps to queue him that I was going to stop! BAD MOM! He did wonderfully on the down and sit stay. When I had to leave him and let the trainer hold him ... not a peep! He just sat quietly upon my return!

We were on a high note going home. Only to run into an accident when an overturned car that caused the freeway to be closed. Stuck in traffic for over an hour!
    By the time I got home poor Baron had thrown up in the back seat! He had gotten car sick! Normally, I do not take him for long car rides.

The trainer feels that all of us will pass the CGC with no problems!

He is better now...

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Can you put the line off to the side so that it isn't in his way when he comes to you?
    They were doing CGC testing at the agility trial this weekend- I asked if they would be doing testing at the next trial as Destin needs to practice some things before we attempt it. so we have a month to a month and a half to work on things.........