Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baron's Advanced Beginners & CGC Class... Second class.

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Will try that! Thanks

Piper's me m had a neat trick to use 2x4's on either side of her so he would do a straight come and sit. That is what an was doing with great results. I don't dare try that now since the line could get tangled and scare him!

We were doing so well before this long line was introduced. The trainer told me he will just have to get used to it!!!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    once you pass that part of the CGC, you won't have to use it anymore.....
    there are all kind of tips/tricks to use to get the dog to come and sit in front of you- dowels, front boxes, anything that will channel them straight to you.....

fast forward to 3:10 Cran enthusiastically comes to front but not so much with the sit......

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh my... what concentration!

I wish Baron was not so timid... it looks like he is always so on guard!

Thank for sharing the video! What was the last exercise? Never saw that before.

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    You can make a super lightweight long line using parachute cord - maybe that will intimidate him less?

5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I was thinking that but did not know if it was allowed. I will ask next time I am in class.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Wow wonderful that you found a class you really like and Baron is doing so well!

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Will using 2x4s or dowels keep the dog from turning partially sideways for a call to front? Sometimes Beau gets it but he often wants to swing his rear out so he is somewhat sideways.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, I used dowels and he came straight every time.

Now Baron goes sideways!

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    In the Preferred classes (video was of Preferred Novice), they don't do group sits/downs- they can do either a down or sit while you walk around the ring similar to the stay exercise in Beginner Novice. Traditional group stays are about to go away in the regular classes so that should be interesting....

yeah, timid has never been used in conjunction with Cranberry.
    Dixie on the other hand definitely had some issues that way- but agility and obedience training and having a confident dog to follow really helped her.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- both will help with straightness- anything that can form a channel and help them do it correctly will help. Cran was going a little crooked so we practiced a few months with the dowels to get him to come straight. started with them on the floor in a wide V, then a little less wide, then wide while I was holding the dowels, then closer together with the dowels and eventually faded them out completely. I've been told that he anticipates a lot so we were always treating in the front sit position so he would have to wait to finish until given the command.