Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baron's Advanced Beginners & CGC Class... Second class.

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am wondering if I go back to the beginning by only having him come to me with really short distances.

Once he gets that perfect increase by 12 inches at a time until I can proof him.

Thoughts?

Still wondering if they will allow a long string rather than the long line. Might call the training facility today to get their feedback.

Piper's mom and Cara Sandler like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Gloria - now that your sweet boy - not like a line behind him
    - why not just leave it
    - to me it would be much better he is happy and likes to come to you. :hugs

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's exactly what I'd do...any time the dog seems to be having difficulty go back to the beginning. Try using the dowels or boards at short distances as well...try just doing a few at a time and mix them up with some fun ones as well and always end on a good note!

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hanne,

I so agree with your comments...

- why not just leave it
    - to me it would be much better he is happy and likes to come to you.

Unfortunately, I asked if I could do the recall without the long and the trainer said NO!
    It is apparently mandatory! The trainer told me he will just have to get used to it.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Why should he have "to get used two it" - you have nothing to use it for :no:
    - if it is not because you want to take samples (then drop this)

I will ask to be free to make the recall if it can not be done without the line.

The coach must surely see that Baron do not like this line.

You pay to go there, then you surely have something to say :wink2:
    -you is not difficult you're just a dog owner who takes care of your dog :hugs

All the years I've been a coach, I always told the students
    - "never do anything with your dog that is contrary to your conviction - you should always be able to see your dog in the eyes when you get home"

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    In order to get the CGC title, you MUST follow their rules... Hence, the long line!

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, it is understandable - if you want this title you must follow the rules :yes:

I just had the understanding of that you took this course to strengthen Baron's self-confidence - and not to take the title - so sorry Gloria I misunderstood you:hugs

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, indeed, I have been taking classes to build his confidence and to socialize him too.

Getting the title was a side benefit.

Unfortunately, too many dog owners are not putting in the time they need to help their dogs!

My next door neighbors being one of them! They have a jack Russell terrier that is a complete terror!

They have been letting him run off lead chasing a ball across my front yard! Whenever I am out they don't do it. But I notice them doing it in the early morning and in the evening too. This has been going on for months!

I was clearing leaves yesterday and she let he dog chase the ball across my yard and I asked her to please not to do it! For goodness sakes... the city has an ordnance that no dog can be off lead! Her lot is a corner one... traffic going by all the time!

To add insult to injury, there is a fenced school yard right across the street where she could run the dog safely!

She took her dog into the backyard and he started barking constantly as I was cleaning leaves in the backyard too. Both Logan and Baron were with me. Neither of them barked! Finally the owner brought the dog in after several attempts to get it to stop barking!

And they say Shelties are barkers... in my experience, not if you teach them the 'quiet' command!

Sorry about the morning rant!!!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's stupid that they require the long line, I didn't realize but that's also a requirement here in Canada for the CGC. I understand the logic (ability to grab the dog that runs) but for the well trained dog it's a good way to wreck their recall if they don't like the line attached.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  10. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    @ghggp Regarding the "bad" neighbor, we had a similar experience. Our neighbor was too lazy to walk their Doberman Pinscher so the guy would stand in the street and throw a tennis ball down the street for exercise. The DP started wearing a path across our lawn because he didn't like running on asphalt. I went to Home Depot and bought some decorative wire edgings for planters and placed them directly in the path. The dog stopped running across our lawn, and then I just pulled them out. :sneaky:

Piper's mom likes this.