Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best Age to Spay?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Daisy's Mom, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    My Daisy is 6 months old. According to our contract with the breeder we are to have her spayed. The breeder suggests it be done on the young side, say 6 months, before she goes into season. However, other knowledgable people I know say that it is better to wait because studies (link below) indicate that waiting lowers the risk of cancer later in life. I have also read here on SN that the coat will be fuller if you wait.

So, here are the opinions on spaying I have heard:
    - Spay before going into season.
    - Spay after going into season once.
    - Compromise - Spay at age two years.
    - Spay at six years for maximum health benefits.

Our decision is compounded by my husband having second thoughts, since he adores Daisy and now thinks he would like to breed her.:wideyed: I think that is highly unlikely since that would mean renegotiating the contract and I am not sure we are up for dealing with litters. His wavering, though, makes me want to wait a while before having the procedure.

Any thoughts on the best age to spay a Sheltie?

http://www.gpmcf.org/respectovaries.html

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie was sterilized 10 days before her 1 year birthday.
    Just in between the first and second season, where their body is in balance
    They've got a little adult appearance, and their bones are "closed".

Since my English is not too good, there are definitely others who can explain it more extensively

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We spayed Honey at 6 months, because we lived in an apartment and other dogs were starting to whine when she was near. I didn't want to take any chances, some of them were large enough to go right through the screen door if they felt like it. However she's always been prone to spraining her ankles when running or jumping, her first three years we had her in the vet for limping every couple of months. Some studies have shown that spaying to early can keep ligaments and tendons from fully forming and recommend waiting until the dogs are 1 years old before spaying. (Although I remember a member on here mentioning you can get that tested to know if you can do that earlier?) Because of that I waited until Mango was 1 and then due to scheduling she ended up being 1 1/2 when we did take her in, a few months after her first full heat. In the last month after her heat, she did start getting some behavior problems with Honey and the cats...she was extra protective of herself and bones or toys. We've gotten her out of that, but she has continued to be reactive/aggressive towards other dogs on walks and we've had to work really hard to get that behavior curbed. Behavior which only showed up after that first heat...so...

I think there's a real sweet spot for spaying, and on my two dog basis (not hugely scientific) I would say right at 1 years.

4. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Lil' Lady was 6 months old. She had the laser operation done and it worked out great.

5. Daisy's Mom

Aug 25, 2017
    @JacqueZ and @Hanne That is interesting to know about the aggressiveness later on. Sounds like one year might be the right time.

@sable I am unfamiliar with the laser procedure. I will definitely look into that. Not sure if her vet does that, but I'm sure I can find one who does if he doesn't.

JacqueZ likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  7. Daisy's Mom

Aug 25, 2017
    @Hanne. Thanks for the link. I also saw that SN has a list of old threads regarding the "when to spay" issue. So many factors to consider. I will probably wait until she is year old then reevaluate.

Hanne likes this.