Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blue Merle x Blue Merle

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Matsuki, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    As you can say it - right on the spot :yes:

2. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Of course, not something to take on lightly.

3. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    This I didn't know. Echo's Dam is a Sable, her sire is a Blue Merle. There were only 2 puppies in her litter, both Tri. I assume it's allowed in the U.S. She is AKC registered with those 2 parents and was a show dog. I'm guessing that her breeders knew there was no merle on the Dam's side. Both Sire & Dam are their dogs. Very interesting to know.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Lanie - Sable to Merle breeding is permitted and Sable Merle is an acceptable color (brindle is the only color disqualified outright in the Sheltie Standard I believe) but you rarely see them in the show ring. Why? Because "washed out" color, something you can get with a Sable Merle is a fault so they are very difficult to finish. It's also very difficult to tell a dog is Sable Merle so making the mistake of a Merle->Merle breeding is possible. (This reason is why some countries, like Denmark, ban breeding a Sable to a Merle.)

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    and a lot of sable merles have blue eyes- brown dogs have to have brown eyes to show in AKC conformation....

Cran wouldn't be allowed to show with his one blue eye:wink2:

6. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Cleo would not either with her part blue eye... :razz:

7. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the clarification. I'd only heard about the Blue Merle to Blue Merle in a conversation with my breeders.

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Thank you for the enlightening of merle to merle breedings, I am not on here much,and just scanning thru posts.
    To the orgiginal post...think twice & and long third time before yo think to breed merle to merle.
    I'm an owner of a double merle,that is deaf & blind.

9. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not my intent at all.

Was just shocked that a reputable breeder would do such a thing with such a high likelihood of a double merle pup or two...but it turned out the breeder simply was careless when they copy and pasted info/pics in their mailings. What I thought was the father and mother (in OP) turned out to be the Japan Kennel Club champion father and an example of what she may look like....as their pride and joy Japan Kennel Club champion "Hiro" who is from the same father. The mother is a Tri so there was no Merle to Merle breeding, just a misunderstanding.

http://imgur.com/ArLHDbq
    Father

http://imgur.com/IEDHheY
    Older brother "Hiro"

10. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    I'm kind of glad for this misunderstanding. I learned a lot from this thread:winkgrin: