Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bravecto?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by SuzieQ1960, Apr 12, 2017.

1. SuzieQ1960

SuzieQ1960 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009
    Hermiston, Oregon
    i haven't been on here in ages, but have a question that I trust the forums to answer. The vet has prescribed Bravecto for my boy Aonghus. My question: is it safe for Shelties? I will not give it to him until I know. Thanks

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have used Frontline for years on my shelties with no issues...

My vet recommended only using it every other month unless you are near ticks and then once a month is recommended...

I found this link that does not rate this product very well... it is from Australia.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/bravecto.html 2017-04-12_15-01-57.jpg

3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I use bravecto and interceptor plus for my two. Frontline stopped working in my area. Last year is when I started bravecto, Cleo was tick and flea free. Never had a problem. Cleo and Relic both are on it now. My vet recommended it for us since we choose to not use advantix, advantage multi, or revolution since it can cause a reaction with collies or any other herding breed.

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Mine are on simparica and interceptor and doing great. Like Cleo, frontline no longer works in my area.

5. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Frontline still works here. And we use it.

Tried Bravecto one time. One of the boys was allergic to it. Broke him out in hives something terrible. That was the end of that for us.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    We also use Simparica and Interceptor with great results. We were using Bravecto before with no issues but our vet suggested we switch to monthly treatment. They found that a lot of people just forget to give it at the three month mark.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've used Revolution and NexGuard after I had my one and only flea infestation at home while using Frontline. Both worked fine. NexGuard is made by the Frontline people - it came out when people were complaining that Frontline wasn't working.

Since mine both got heartworm injections last year I've had them back on Frontline and it's working fine. I prefer using a spot on rather than a chew for the flea (and give separate worming tablet) which actually doesn't leave a lot of options when you can't use Advantage products. The nuisance for me is Deska is an in-between weight for all the products - he's 10.5kg so do I give him the product for <10kg or >10kg.

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When I translate Bayvantic this become to Advantix ??

I have use Bayvantic for Minnie all the time and she has never had "pets":no: and she tolerate this fine.

"Bayvantic works already BEFORE your dog gets bitten. Ticks should not only take hold and suck blood before they die and fall off the dog Ticks are especially sensitive to Advantix and can feel it as soon as they crawl on your dog. They lose their footing and fall off. In this way reduces the risk for both bite and to become infected with the diseases that ticks but also some mosquitoes and flies can transmit when they bite, sticks and suck blood"

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Advantix should be avoided in Shelties. I had a look and Bayvantic has the same ingredient - imidacloprid - that's thought may cause gallbladder mucocele in Shelties.

ghggp and Ann like this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you so much Caro - that I will tell my vet

Yes, I can see the product you mention, so I have just written to the company about this.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017