Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bravecto?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by SuzieQ1960, Apr 12, 2017.

1. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Nexgard is a really good product. It will probably, finally, be the replacement we have been seeking for Frontline for about 10 years now. Bravecto is similar to Nexgard, but good for 3 months rather than one. Sorry, I shall pass. I don't want to give anything to a dog that I can't take out of his system for 3 months. Remember the gone but not lamented ProHeart 6? It is not particularly onerous to give your dog a tablet every month. And if he doesn't seem to be tolerating it all that well we can take some solace in realizing in a couple of weeks it will be out of his system and we can move on to something else.
    I suppose that is more of an 'aesthetic' than a medical opinion, but a 3 month pill just scares me.

ghggp likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I agree with not wanting to give something that will last for 3 months..... I don't mind a monthly thing- just want to use something that works

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    To day - I received a mail from Bayer A / S Animal Health:
    (translated) "You need not be concerned using Advantix for your sheltie. Since it is not absorbed into the blood and thus can not affect the organs of the body.

Is it possible to get your telephone number. I can give you a call?"

They have my number now and I am waiting

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I work in pharmaceutical research. One of the projects I was working on was an infusion given for rheumatoid arthritis that only needed to be given once every 6 months (please note that I don't get to pick what projects I work on). We gave someone an infusion and she turned out to be allergic to the mouse component of the medication. She was ok, but we had to give her antihistamines and steroids for about 3 months before the reaction was tamped down enough that she wasn't miserable. So I agree, best to avoid anything that will linger in anyone's body (canine or human) for months at a time.

Ann likes this.
  5. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I think I may change to this for the reason of I am awful at forgetting after 3 months... My vet does not have it in yet. I am going to ask him about though. Even though I have not had any issues with Bravecto, I agree the allergic reaction in a three month pill does scare me. I never even thought of that...

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm afraid that's not what the research says. The customer service lines though generally aren't staffed by scientists (maybe vets) so they possibly don't know about the research, and Bayer scientists are yet to make any comment about the research. A 9x risk of GBM is just not worth it.

Tully did use Advantage and now she has gallbladder issues.

Hanne likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - Thank you so much - it is good to be prepared when / if I get a call - I will never use anything there is a risk it could harm Minnie, at the same time I also know that ticks are very dangerous if you are unlucky.

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Bayvantic (DK) / Advantix (US)
    I got a call today - and got a long and informative conversation.
    Since Bayvantic just sitting in the fatty layer just under the skin and never goes into the blood, it can not do damage to organs.

Therefore we (in Denmark) can buy without reccept - and the product is authorized for use for both pregnant and lactating bitches.

It is possible I will receive a written information from the company - then I will post a translation here.

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy has been taking Bravecto and Interceptor Plus for almost a year now. I don't have any trouble remembering to give her the pills because they have an app you can download for your smartphone. The first time you open it up, you can put the date you last gave the medication, and it will give you a reminder in 12 weeks. It can also do other medications so it also reminds me about the monthly Interceptor. About a year ago I had a nice long discussion with my vet about what my options were for flea, tick, and heartworm meds. She really wanted me to try that collar thing, but I have some issues with it. It's hard to explain.. I have irrational fears. But anyways, we ended up going with the Bravecto and Interceptor Plus. Missy had a check-up last Friday and the vet is still happy with that plan. I'm happy because I haven't found a tick on Missy since we switched, and Interceptor Plus takes care of a lot of intestinal parasites.

Cleo2014 likes this.
  10. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I didn't know they had an app!!! Thank you! :)