Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Breed for my grandmom

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Lexi, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Hi, so as the title says I'm searching for a breed for my grandmom. In autumn she lost her Pug. We are looking for a companion breed and I think the two best choices would be a Cavalier and Miniature poodle. But we don't know anyone with personal experience.. So maybe anyone on this forum knows something about these two? Or can suggest some other breed?
    I know the Cavalier is knows for their bad health, but in our country the breeding regulations are more strict so there is a good chance to get a quite good one. But they have a great temperament describtion. As do poodles. :smile2:
    There are other breeds like the Coton, Havanese but they are a bit too small..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have always wanted a Cavalier! Their look is beyond precious. Yes, health problems... heart especially!
    Apparently, they are the love sponges of dogs... would be a good fit as long as you find a good breeder.

That's my vote!

However, just a plug for shelties, getting a senior sheltie might be a good fit too!
    I would not get a puppy for her...

Lexi likes this.
  3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    One of my favorite dogs of all time was a cavie. She was the sweetest thing and was a good inside, by the desk/bed sort of dog but also could and did chase squirrels, etc. She lived to be 18. So there are healthy ones out there. Her family said she was difficult to housebreak but I am not sure how hard or with what approach they tried.

Lexi likes this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Hugely popular old people dog is a Shiztu here. Mom and Dad have one. Lazy lovey dogs.

Lexi likes this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I absolutely LOVE Cavaliers. They are so sweet and snuggly. I also really like Pomeranians, they are such characters. And, my first dog was a miniature (not toy) poodle who was awesome, so smart and up for anything (I was 12 years old). So I don't think you could go wrong with any of those, Poms seem to come in a variety of sizes from really small to decent sized..... good luck!

Lexi likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    As others also write, Cavaliers is such a sweet dog, but although Denmark is doing much to breed away from their problems, they are still in between - Personally I would not dare to do it. :no:

Do not think she goes wrong with a black poodle

Why not a Pom when she now knows the breed ??

Lexi likes this.
  7. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Because she doesn't like so much grooming. In the Pom or Spitz (which is my Lexi) you have to do a lot of grooming, line brushing and I know she would not like it. I know Poodles need a lot of grooming, but she could have it in a very short clip. I like grooming so this is why I always have breeds with a lot of coat.
    I think the grooming of the Cavalier would be the easiest.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the cavalier too, maybe some day I will get one. But the health problems do scare me:((

8. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I have to look about these breed. In fact yesterday at the vet I've met one and he was quite bigger than I thought they are. And seemed very slow:smile2:

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Since just about every breed seems to have some breed-specific health issue, I'd go for best fit. Cavaliers are cuddle bugs. Poodles are more active.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Mom and Dad's guy is very small. He could almost go under Spitfire and I think weighs about 10lbs (though he is VERY old and they are fighting to keep weight on him now) But some are closer to a small Sheltie over here.