Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brussel sprouts anyone?

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Caro, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm cooking up a couple of months worth of food for the dogs atm. I have a heap of brussel sprouts in the fridge from last month's trip to the market that I figured I'd give the dogs. Just wondering if anyone has given their dogs brussel sprouts and if they had gas (seeing as they are related to cabbage)? I'll break them up because I doubt Tully will eat a sprout whole and they won't be getting a heap (the main vegie I use is pumpkin, and then whatever seasonal vegies are available).

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Mine love Brussels sprouts. When I was doing raw for Liam, I would cook up a California mixed veggie - cauliflower, sprouts and carrots - and puree them to mix with the meat. Never had any issues as they didn't get a lot.

3. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Mine don't really care for them. They will eat 1 or 2 , but then mine don't really like veggis that much.

4. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    This post brings back a funny memory of my Tres, chow hound extrodinaire - I swear he would eat anything.

At our alumni picnic, we had a silly game where the dogs were offered different foods (the eventual winner ate everything offered).

It started with a hard treat, hot dog slice, carrot piece, piece of beet (yes - he gobbled down the beet!).

Feeling confident that I had the winner in Tres, out came a brussel sprout . . he chewed and chewed, spit it out, picked it up again, chewed again, spit it out - it just kept growing in his mouth, I guess . . .

Anyway, he just couldn't get it down . . .

If they do this game next year, I will just toss it to him and see if he can swallow it whole . . . That is probably how I would have to eat brussel sprouts :eek2:

5. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Olive's not picky with vegetables (or really anything), if we're eating it, she'd eat it. Brussels sprouts, cabbage, spinach, cucumbers, pretty much anything we bring back from the farmer's market (so right now, lots and lots of zucchini and cucumber.)

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Tully used to pick out the vegies, drop them on the floor and then wait for Deska went near them so she could growl at him and finally eat them. Thankfully she's stopped now. But I have discovered that she doesn't like her veggies crunchy, she eats them fine if they are well cooked. And carrots she won't eat unless I cut them into tiny pieces that are too hard to pick out. Neither of mine will eat their veggies raw. And that includes Mr D who will eat any old crud he finds on the ground!

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby will eat pretty much any raw vegetable. Including brussel sprouts. She has never had any issues. We give her whatever veggies are in season. Right now she has been eating my lettuce.