Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can I use chewing gum for ears

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by andre normand, Aug 20, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    my breeder tells me to use non sugar chewing gums to keep ears on my puppy down
    What are your thoughts

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've heard of people using chewing gum but don't know anyone who's ever done it. Most people use Japanese tape or glue. I'd be more comfortable using pure glycerine rather than gum, but if you do decide to try the gum, PLEASE don't use sugar-free gum! It contains xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. If a piece falls off your puppy's ears and he eats it, he could be very sick. Many products use xylitol, even yogurt, so it's important to always check ingredients before using or giving them to your dog.

There are several threads here on ears that may help you decide what the easiest way is for you.

3. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I used glue for false eyelashes. Never heard of using gum. The reason I used this glue it was easy to remove.

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Many years ago when we got Asta at 10 weeks, one ear kept wanting to creep up and I did not want one ear up and one down. Our breeder also recommended chewing gum, it stuck to the hair and gave enough weight to keep the tip down. I can't remember how long we did it for, but it worked! (see Avatar photo of Asta, the big girl) And yes NO SUGAR FREE gum with xylitol! Toxic for pups!