Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can neutering effect coat growth?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Natalie Weldon, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Natalie Weldon

Natalie Weldon Forums Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    I've heard mixed answers in this. I'm not planning to breed my little one so I do plan on getting him neutered. Vet says 6 months. My Australian shepherd was neutered around that age and has a beautiful full coat. I've heard that it might effect Sheltie's coats from growing big and full and to wait until they are a year. Both parents have wonderful coats. Any truth to this?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    There is some truth to this, but it also depends on genetics. If your dog's line has a full, bushy coat, chances are your boy will as well. However, the current research indicates that dogs should not be spayed before one year old, longer for males, up to 18 months, although the minimum is a year. Females should have at least one season before spaying.

I have girls, but my friends with male dogs usually neuter around a year to help avoid down unwelcome behavior. In the past, the standard was six months and that's just when we did it. But most vets recommend waiting now for health reasons.