Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can you train down a gay tail?

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by roguskie, Nov 11, 2017.

1. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi Guys.
    So Obi has a gay tail. I bought him as a show puppy and his breeder thinks that he could be trained to carry it low. He seems to carry it up and over more than he carries it down. Here is a pic 20171112_075228-472x492.jpg
    Any tips greatly appreciated

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Some people believe you can train a tail down, but I've never known it to work. The only thing I can think of is to try treating when the puppy puts his tail down, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. Some puppies lower their tail carriage some as they grow though, so it may get lower.

roguskie likes this.
  3. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    It does seem to be higher in new situations so i am hoping the more experience he gets the lower he will hold it

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When Minnie was younger she wore almost always her tail high - I was sure that she would continue.

But now she is 3 y is the tail only up when she is on the mouse hunting ore something exciting happen :yes:

roguskie likes this.