Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Canine Influenza

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Ohio Snake, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Ohio Snake

Ohio Snake Premium Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Canine influenza is a serious problem in central Ohio as well as other areas of the US especially the great lakes and upper midwest areas. My shelties ( 2) became exposed recently to this epidemic whereas one of our Shelties, Shelby (4 year old) ended up in an animal hospital in ICU in Columbus, Ohio.
    I highly recommend discussing this with your vet to ascertain if the virus is prevelant in your area and if the flu vaccination is recommended.
    Shelby showed signs with what seemed to be kennel cough, which morphed in vomitting a thick, foamy flem every 5 minutes. This influenza apparently comes in two strains, one which can lead to pnuemonia and has had a few deadly consequences in puppies and dogs with compromised immune systems. Shelby was eventually diagnised with bacterial pnuemonia and was immediately admitted into ICU for four days. He was released a few days ago on 4 medications and is getting better daily.
    Our other Sheltie, Avery, was exposed to the virus. She was put on doxycicline in an attempt to reduce possible symtoms if she shows signs as well. Avery has the cough, however her symptoms are not as bad as Shelby.
    Both dogs are recovering and our house has separate floors quarantined for each dog preventing interaction with each other and the possibility of passing this virus back and forth. The hospital does not have enough information on if the virus can be transferred back and forth at this time. We keep our dogs separate as a precaution. The virus does not transfer to cats or humans.
    Please be aware if canine influenza is in your area and discuss the best course of action with vet for your pet. Also, Im a BIG proponent for pet healthcare. If you dont have it on your pet, consider getting it. The cost to insure is very reasonable just in case of an illness or accident. Shelby’s hospitalization cost $4200 and 90% was covered by pet healthcare.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I vaccinated Layla, who is exposed to other dogs quite frequently. Our "home dogs" have not received the vaccination. Your point is well-taken!

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thank you for the reminder...I had heard this virus was around again in Ohio. I'm sorry your pups picked it up. Last year's outbreak was terrible and ran through many states. If you do vaccinate your dogs, be sure they are being vaccinated with the bivalent vaccine that covers both H3N8 and H3N2. The vaccine requires two shots two weeks apart initially and then one yearly.

Also, if your dog is exposed or goes to places where it may be exposed, vaccinate ALL the dogs in your house, not just the one who travels. This is highly contagious and one dog can bring it home to the others before there are any symptoms. I used to just vaccinate my show dogs until last year's outbreak. Too many friends had all the dogs in the house infected this way.

4. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I was ignorant about the topic, but the girls were required to be vaccinated when we boarded the last time. We got our info from the Vet at that time.

5. Ohio Snake

Jun 10, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Anne, you are absolutely spot on with your info. The two strains are the exact two you mention. We can’t vaccinate until the dogs are cleared of the affectss.....possibly December according to MedVet.

Ann likes this.
  6. Ohio Snake

Jun 10, 2017
    Central Ohio
    My research shows this influenza bug dates back to 2015. I wish there was a website indicating areas of infection, or better yet..a notification of any pet illnesses in areas of the US owners can be aware of. Our vet never indicated to us about the virus in the area, but our day care facility starting requiring the vaccination this November which was the tip off something was going on. Not blaming the vet in any way, but wish there was some type of notification for this.

is there a site anyone knows about for monitoring US pet illnesses for precaution and prevention?

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Unfortunately, there's nothing like this and we're forced to rely on word of mouth among dog people. Frequently, we know about it even before the vets do. Last year's outbreak was said to have started in Chicago a few years ago, brought in by rescue dogs from the Asian meat market who carried the virus. No one heard about it until it broke out in several shows across the south and spread like wildfire, taking out whole kennels and costing people thousands of dollars with dogs in intensive care.

When I asked my vet about the vaccine with both strains -- who is the head of our state veterinary association and always on top of stuff -- he hadn't heard about the outbreak or how far it had spread. Social media has been the best tool for breeders and dog people to share this kind of information. The downside is that it can also spread rumors and panic. In this case, it was a lifesaver for many of us who were able to get the vaccine and protect our dogs.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    AKC did send an email earlier this year about the spring outbreak at some of the shows in the South......

10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu gets a flu shot every year, but only one. Did not know there were two strains. Need to ask his vet about that.