Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cheapest Sheltie toy ever

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So, it all started with Asta, whose nick-name was "Shred-Ex". I'm not sure why we started this, but we began giving the girls the cardboard toilet paper rolls to play with. Asta and Ally loved shredding them. Now onto the next generation, Brooke and Faith love to tear them up into little bits also. They don't eat the pieces, either, so that's good. I leave them with one each when I go to the gym and come back to find bits and pieces everywhere. :lol:

Anyone else do this with their Shelties?

JacqueZ likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    No, because my beloved GSD taught me how many tiny pieces such a roll contains
    - she was completely crazy about the rolls and it was impossible to change the roll
    - she could hear it, whether she was asleep and she was allowed to get these rolls
    - Throughout her life :hugs

So no poor Minnie is not aware of how funny they are :biggrin2:

Sharon7 and Cara Sandler like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    One year when I finished off a roll of Christmas wrapping paper, my dad said, what are we going to do with that- it was one of the really big rolls. I said, don't worry about it and gave it to the shelties.....
    it totally fit in the garbage bag after that :winkgrin:

Sharon7, Piper's mom and RikyR like this.
  4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu loves them, but I had to put a stop to it. At first he would bat them around and chase them, but now he just rips them apart in seconds. Got tired of picking up the pieces!

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Yes, Shelby looks loves "tubes" too. The bigger the better.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My girls ADORE toilet paper rolls! It's even gotten to the point that my friends save theirs for me to give them :)

Sharon7 and Hanne like this.
  7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I find cardboard rolls of any type to be wonderful for Beau. We had one heavy roll that large white paper came on, when it was done I gave it to Beau and he chewed on that thing for weeks. I use both toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls to make "puzzles". I stick a tiny piece of meat or something inside, place them in something, then in a cardboard box. He needs to figure out how to get everything out and can tear up the cardboard in the meantime. The one problem I have NOT had with him is chewing furniture or molding or shoes, etc. I am sure this is because the rolls keep his mouth occupied.

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I've tried a couple times, but sadly Bentley eats the pieces!

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    My dog loves shredding paper! If I accidentally leaves a paper towel within her reach, I will find it in shredded to pieces. I even allow her to "unwrap" her birthday or holiday presents. I do have to be careful, because she may accidentally swallow a piece of paper, but she usually spits it out.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    OK so I'm getting the impression that this is a Sheltie thing! (And at least one GSD, per Hanne!) I'm amused that a good number of other pups are into this. I came home from the gym today to find a cardboard box my husband had left on the floor got worked over, too - :uhoh: so now we have to be careful what we leave around!
    Our first Sheltie Skye LOVED to unwrap gifts. She brought a white elephant Christmas gift exchange party to a stop one year when we gave her our gift to unwrap, which she did so methodically - tearing off long strips until she had it unwrapped!! Everyone was cracking up! :pop

Hanne likes this.