Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chewing, Chewing, Chewing

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by MissyGallant, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Rocket chews more than any other puppy I've ever owned. He really loves my cookbooks and chords. So, this weekend, we replaced a phone charger. And everyone got a chewy treat. Yesterday, the chewy treats were gone, so he was back at the cookbooks. He completely ignores DH when he tries to correct him. So, I stopped him twice. The third time, DH got up and grabbed him saying, "Your Puppy. This is Your Puppy." He sat him down on my lap and Rocket took a nap.

Hanne likes this.
  2. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Relic has been an avid chewer. I have to make sure he has something safe to chew on at night while settling down for bed. I forgot one night and woke up to hearing a ripping noise and a nice lovely hole in my comforter that I rolled down to the end of the bed. I also blocked him into the kitchen when he was younger and he chewed the corner of one of my cabinets. Cleo was never this bad. So I always, even to this day, make sure he is occupied with something. Or the trouble begins...

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby was a big chewer too. Her thing was anything wood. The arms of a chair, a curio cabinet, floor molding, even the wall (through her crate). She was very challenging to say the least. And very stubborn, she could have cared less if you caught her in the act nor did she care if you were made at her. She would just give you a look like "get over it, no big deal".

We would always make sure she had something safe to chew at night when it was time to settle. I must say now that she will be 7 in a few weeks she is a perfect well behaved pup. I think she was put here to teach us to be patient and not sweat the small things.

4. MissyGallant

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    The funny thing about Rocket is that he only ignores DH. If I say NO, then he stops. DH says No, and ignore it, ignore it, ignnnnnnore it. We put him in his pen last night at betime, and I leaned over to tell him goodnight, and it was wiggles, wiggles. DH tried to get at least one wiggle, nope, not happening.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Sooo glad I've never had a big chewer. Unless you count my Burmese cat who has pica and is the reason I've covered every wire in the house.

6. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Chip chewed everything, he also ate everything including the fringe on two oriental rugs. Wife finally just cut the fringe off small enough that it wasn't fun anymore I guess.
    Laddie is "BORED" most of the time. I had put a clothes basket with clean towels and wash clothes in it on the floor in the bedroom. One red cloth he absolutely could not leave alone. That evening wife and I both went to sleep early, yep! he chewed a hole right through the middle. Reading the Sunday paper this morning I was ignoring both. I had a pile of toys at my feet.
    Laddie can get over his "Puppy Hood" anytime now. lol

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Those chewed cords to expensive electrical products are expensive... and dangerous! You're using stuffed Kongs, re-directing and confining dear Rocket when you can't supervise, right?

8. MissyGallant

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Oh absolutely! He is much better now. He gets bratty when he is tired and finds papers to chew and shred. So, I take the paper away and hand him something acceptable to chew instead. Too many times, and he gets his appropriate chewy and put in his crate- where he gets to chew without worrying about Cooper and the Belles stealing his chewy treats. Cooper and the Belles always have their own chewy treats, but Rocket's are better.