Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Clicker training

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Christopher Lanier, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Christopher Lanier

Christopher Lanier Forums Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Huntsville Alabama
    Hey guys and gals. I started clicker training with Fox today and wanted to warn against buying a clicker made by Click-R. WAY too soft. I dunno if he even associated the clicker I got with all the treats he got to condition him. Grrr. I hope gettibg a louder clicker tonight will help. If you use click training, which clicker do you prefer?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    some dogs don't like the really loud clicks so a lot of people do use the Click-R.
    I have a variety of them and use whichever is closest usually :winkgrin:

Christopher Lanier likes this.
  3. Christopher Lanier

Christopher Lanier Forums Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Huntsville Alabama
    So I paid 3 bucks for the Click-R..

Went to Petsmart and got a bunch of their .97 cent ones. They are perfect. I paid "dumb tax" for the Click-R.

4. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Never have used a clicker. Always taught our Collies with silent commands.

Our two boys respond to spoken commands and we normally do not need to "Yell". lol

I do understand if you walk your dogs in a residential area the clicker might be better in some instances.

ferg

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I've purchased a few Click-R over the years and found they some of them are louder than others. Don't ask me why but I have two I work with now and one is louder than the other. The quieter one is acutally good for when I'm not trying to call attention to my training. As someone pointed out, some dogs respond better to the quieter click sound.

Obviously it's about what works for you and your dog. I'm just advising that sometimes the quieter click is necessary or preferred.

As an aside, the last time I purchased clickers, I picked them up on Amazon. I was able to find a set of multiple clickers, this one is 7 of them, for $10: https://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Traini...=UTF8&qid=1484250360&sr=8-2&keywords=clickers. Even in these I had some that were louder than others. What I like about them is they come with the wrist strap and I can palm them so I can push the button in many different ways.

Christopher Lanier likes this.
  6. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    I bought a 4 pack on Amazon, and also have one I got from Kupo's puppy class. I don't use them anymore, though. I find a definitive "YES!" is all I need right now.

I obviously intended to use them, but when we got to classes and Kupo had to be on leash, I found out that I don't have enough hands, haha! Maybe I'll try again when we go to his next class?

Here are the ones I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAFYS6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    I've actually never fully understood clicker training. I know it's something like you click then command and reward. But since I don't do competitions, all I've ever really needed was command. With Tara, all we do is snap and gesture. Her dad followed hand signals at 60 ft.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Not quite that order. The click takes the place of a verbal "yes" so it's command, click, treat. You only Click when you get the behavior you want. The click is a very specific sound and is actually more successful than a verbal 'yes' for teaching complex behaviors you have to break down into smaller chunks.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I have never used clicker training, neither with my German Shepherd dogs which I took many samples with, or Minnie.

My voice, I have always with me and it works perfect :lol::lol:

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Verbal definitely works, Hanne, I won't dispute that.

I have seen first hand with my dogs, who have all been clicker trained since pups, the difference in the speed of learning with and without a clicker. There have been skills I was trying to teach in agility, treibball, and obedience they've struggled with when just using a verbal. When I pulled out a clicker, they 'got it' within four or five tries, even after struggling with the skill for weeks.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter how you get there as long as the experience is fun for the dog.

Hanne likes this.