Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Coat lose from spay

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Spirit dog, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Spirit dog

Spirit dog Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    So a month ago I had my 14-month-old sheltie spayed. She has a beautiful shiny coat. However she started losing so much fur about two weeks after the surgery. She has lost all of her undercoat. Now she is really losing some of her of her overcoat. She still looks good in fact I kind of like the sleek look better. However I am kind of worried though because she keeps losing so much fur that I am quite concerned that it just won’t stop. I wonder how much fur can one little dog loose. Does anyone know if and when this stops? Can it get so she gets bare spots? Am I contributing to the problem by combing her? lately I have been extra careful in combing her gently because so much for is coming out. Anyway I would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows a bit more about this problem and when it might stop or how it goes if her fur will come in thick again etc. Thank you so so very much in advance for reading and taking the time to answer my question :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Your Sheltie's coat loss is perfectly normal. Shelties general blow their "puppy coat" sometime around one year old. Surgery exacerbates that and she will lose more coat faster. Not to worry, it will grow back, although perhaps not as full as it was since spaying tends to reduce the undercoat some.

Brushing is not bad for your girl; in fact, it's the best thing you can do! A warm bath and lots of brushing will help the old coat come out and stimulate the skin so that new coat can grow in. Use a gentle shampoo made for dogs.

I hope this helps!

ghggp, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Like Ann - I do not think you should be afraid - Minnie was 12 months when she was spayed
    She blow her puppy coat for over 3 months and looked terrible.

Then she began to add a very strong coat, with looots of undercoat :wink2:

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My first Sheltie female had the same issues with he coat! I was very concerned too as she was my first Sheltie!

He coat became beautiful and fluffy over the next season and for the rest of her life!

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Nope! Don’t worry. Totally normal. My mom’s girl is 15 months old and was spayed around a year, and she is still naked! I just noticed some extra tail hair in the past few weeks. In talking to the breeder her non-spayed sister is naked as well. Just give it time.