Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Collar or harness

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by andre normand, Aug 13, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    i will be picking up my 8 week old sheltie pup very siphon. Should I buy a collar or a harness for him

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I prefer harnesses after my Vet described how trachea collapse can occur. I have smaller shelties and I don't want to take the chance of hurting their trachea in anyway. They wear harnesses for walking but also have collar for identification. Lots will probably post about the martindale collar. There are many types of harnesses so as your puppy grows you might need to find out which style works best. I use two types for different fur thickness in summer vs winter. My girls still HATE collars, the ones they don't pitch a fit about is the rolled leather types.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    both:winkgrin:

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    The first collar a little cheaper one that can be made out as the puppy grows
    I only use collars.

5. Cherie

Cherie Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Smokie Mountains
    I can concur the rolled leather collars are much better for the mane. They don't tangle in the coat and pinch. Dont mat the coat. That said I opted for a nylon cat collar with a bell for our new puppy. We will change to said rolled leather when she matures. CAT collars have a break away feature to prevent hanging. Since she is still exploring the world and spends some time in crate training. The cat bell is a plus, when I don't hear it it means she got into something somewhere she should not be. And, It holds her tags should she somehow slip away. It is for wearing ID tags only.

I do not walk or train her on a lead with a collar. I hook the lead to a harness for training and outings. Collapsed trachea is a REAL issue.

Should you opt for a martingale, which some classes/ trainers require, make certain you understand how it works and fits. The D loop should come together at circumference of neck, without squeezing down on neck. It is meant to snug, not choke. The mere tightening, not squeezing or chocking is what is meant to get your dogs attention. (think tee shirt collar becomes turtleneck...not choking.)Even you can tell a difference if it happens to you, You would know when a shirt collar feels to tight. Still you can swallow and breath.
    Also I find Martingale tend not release very well however, due to the thick fur of Shetlands. You wouldn't want it stuck and choking the dog if not fitted correctly.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My dogs wears their tags on a collar but I never hook the leash to their collars, only their harnesses.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    same here:yes:

Cara Sandler likes this.
  8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I use both too. Harness for walking, collar for everything else. Tags/ID on both.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I use a martingale collar and have never used a harness with Piper ( it's been my experience with other dogs that with harnesses dogs tend to pull more). I'd use a rolled leather slip on him but for some reason they are almost impossible to find here! When he was a pup I used a buckle collar and it was only on him if we were going for a walk. I didn't start using the martingales until he was about 10 months old and we were doing obedience, I like it now for the ease of putting it on and taking it off and he will still get the odd correction when he's not listening when we do obedience however it's just a leash pop to say hey your not listening...pay attention, I'm not cranking on it.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I use a Martingale collar. Shelby is a master at slipping out of a regular collar.

We use a harness when we do nosework. So they learn that this specific harness means we are working odors. However Shelby is not fond of wearing a harness. I think it is because she is so long every harness tends to not fit properly and it rubs behind her front legs. I also don't think she really likes the feel of things that wrap around her.