Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Colonel Klink

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Woodbender, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
    Just wondering how many of our dogs represented here have phobias about noises. Claire bless her heart is making wonderful progress yet still has minor speed bumps. Food dishes is one of them. Noises bother her, such as bangs in the kitchen, anything that snaps like a twig, pings, klinks, paper/plastic rustling. She simply leaves the room. Normally not too much to worry about, I just figure it's something she has to get past and learn that humans live in her house too.
    But her tags clank the water bowl and it scares her. So we sometimes need to swap a bowl because she temporarily associates that with a noise she gets startled by and then she won't drink!
    So do your dogs have a favorite bowl they use which doesn't clank if the tags hit it? If we place her water in a shallower bowl it's not enough water for the day. hmmm. Maybe a glass pie pan? It's lower but larger in volume.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    tape her tags maybe?

Woodbender likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Perhaps fresh water into smaller bowl several times a day. :wink2:

Minnie does not deal if her tags hits the bowl, but she gets at least fresh water 4 -5 times each day :yes:

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
  5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Colonel Klink - I saw that and it reminded me of the TV show Hogan's Heros.

Anyway... back on topic...
    Another option is to put her tags in a tag case, similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Spot-Pet-Silencer-Black/dp/B0017JE522. The disadvantage with the slide on style Margi suggested is they won't slide onto a collar using a quick release clip commonly found on many collars. You need to have a traditional buckle collar in order to thread the collar through. Instead of a slide on tag, you could look into embroidered collars or tags that attach with rivets.

Which reminds me! I was looking at these collars for Keiran before opting to go with Lupine: https://www.etsy.com/listing/94515871/personalized-lazer-engraved-metal-buckle?ref=shop_home_feat_4. I LOVE the fact that the contact information is engraved right on the quick release buckle. I know someone who purchased these collars for their dogs and they were very well made. I still may purchase these for my guys.

6. Woodbender

Woodbender Forums Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2009
    Grand Rapids (area) Mi.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I just realized that wasn't exactly the kind I got the boys cuz theirs do go on martingales. This is exactly what I got them...
    http://shopbarkcode.com/collections/barkcode-pet-id-tag-retail/products/collar-slide-tag
    I'm sure you can find this style somewhere thats a regular tag--I just wanted you to see the picture. As an aside though I really like these tags in addition to the the boys being chipped. If found someone could text me instantly where Fillion is...

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    How about the plastic water bowls with the large reservoir that sits behind the small pan of water (sorry, not sure exactly of what they're called). They hold at least a days worth of water and always keeps the bowl filled. My sister has used one of these for her dogs and she loves it. Piper is pretty well adjusted, he just barks at everything he sees outside haha, not afraid of anything.

Woodbender likes this.
  9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Tara is our phobia sheltie. But- she's terrified of horses. And those are relatively easy to keep out of the kitchen. Good luck with Claire Bear though.

Woodbender likes this.