Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Colonel Underpants Corners the Enemy

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Chris, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I was really proud of Beckon yesterday. I came into the fenced yard just as Beckon and Loki the Papillion cornered a young groundhog. Before I could do anything, Loki rushed up to it, then fled, deciding that discretion really is the better part of valor. Beckon froze at alert, staring at the enemy. I said, "Leave it! just to be safe, then called him to come. It took a few repeats, and he kept looking back over his shoulder, but he obeyed. When I said, "IN," he came up the deck stairs and went into the house.

I was so pleased that he obeyed and followed my voice commands, even with so fascinating a distraction. Repeated reinforcement through Rally really paid off!!

JacqueZ, Margi, mimiretz and 2 others like this.
  2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    GOOD BOY!!

Chris likes this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Colonel, when Mom says "Retreat!" it's best to listen! :winkgrin: Gotta listen to the superiors. Good job!

Chris likes this.
  4. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Good Boy is right. Can't ground hogs get a bit nasty? So happy the Colonel listened to you.

Chris likes this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Good Boy! I wish Shelby would listen like that. She almost had a rabbit (again) today. When DH told her to "leave it", the little brat that she is just looked at him and went right back to trying to find the rabbit!

But she did catch a mouse a few months ago, of course our entire family was here when she caught it. My nieces were yelling b/c they didn't want her to kill it. With that DH tells her to drop it, and she did. Right at my broth-in-laws feet, but she did drop it. And it ran off into the grass. DH was a nice uncle and caught the mouse and released it in the wood shed. What a scene that was

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think I'd have to get my angry voice out if I would have any hope of Piper listening to me in that situation...but you never know. Obedience training is for more than just the ring:D